Sign in with
Your question

How to establish a local connection from a LAN PC to another PC that is connected through the same router but on the WAN port?

Tags:
  • WAN
  • LAN
  • Desktops
  • Networking
  • Mobile
  • Routers
  • File Sharing
  • LAN Sharing
  • Laptops
Last response: in Networking
October 7, 2013 8:35:54 AM

So, my setting looks like the following:
I have a desktop PC that is connected to a 3G mobile broadband stick. I share its internet connection through the house with a linksys WRT54GL wireless router. Internet works fine on all devices that are in my house.

The linksys router is connected to the desktop PC through the WAN port.
That means, the router doesn't see the desktop PC as a client, but as a gateway.

The desktop PC has an external HDD connected to it via USB with a lot of files which I'd like to share with everyone in my house using the wireless router.

For example, I want to connect to my shared HDD and see/edit files from my laptop that is connected to the router.

Is there anything I could do to make this possible, i.e to be able to make my laptop and my desktop communicate with each other via router? Like some sort of LAN to WAN and viceversa?

Local IP address information:
laptop: 192.168.1.10x - automatic configuration assigned by linksys' DHCP, runinng dd-wrt
router: 192.168.1.2 (local) and 192.168.137.2 (WAN)
desktop gateway ethernet: 192.168.137.1

I would also like to mention that I don't want to buy additional hardware like another network card or something to make it work.

Thank you in advance.

More about : establish local connection lan connected router wan port

a b X LAN
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2013 12:49:38 PM

you could try to use the router as an AP (Access Point).

Disconnect the router from the desktop (WAN). Log into the router. Change the LAN IP of the router to 192.168.137.254, disable the DHCP, then save the settings. Then connected the desktop to the LAN connection on the router. Your Desktop should now provide DHCP for the whole house.
October 7, 2013 11:47:14 PM

Emerald said:
you could try to use the router as an AP (Access Point).

Disconnect the router from the desktop (WAN). Log into the router. Change the LAN IP of the router to 192.168.137.254, disable the DHCP, then save the settings. Then connected the desktop to the LAN connection on the router. Your Desktop should now provide DHCP for the whole house.

Doesn't seem to work. I connected my router to the LAN port instead of WAN, disabled DHCP on the router and set its IP address to 192.168.137.2.
I can now connect to dd-wrt control panel using the desktop (since it's now on LAN) and Internet does seem to work on the all devices (sort of, see below), but there are a few issues:
1. Connecting from the laptop (192.168.137.100 - DHCP lease assigned by desktop) to the desktop itself (192.168.137.1) through the router (192.168.137.2) doesn't work. I get a connection timeout. Trying to use the IP you specified on the router seems to return a DHCP error for some weird reason.
2. 3G router auto-disconnects because since the desktop is now connected to LAN, it will "have" internet access (like some sort of loop). I might find a fix for this using the mobile broadband app, but I'll look into it later.

For tl;dr users:
I can connect to my router from the desktop now, but I can't connect to laptop and viceversa. The internet connection constantly breaks.

Thanks for the help anyway! Much appreciated
!