Sony DualShock 4 Will be Compatible with Windows Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
All they need to do is make a driver for it. It would be great and handy to have a PS4 controller for the PC... especially since many people WILL NOT BE buying the Xbone.

Ryan Klug

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Good to have some AAA controllers for the PC. It would be good to see Tom's review PC controllers. They can start with the ridiculously short range of the "wireless" Logitech F710. I get about 2-3 feet. Plus its goofy analog sticks aren't worth diddly in Dirt 3, among other games.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I use an PS3 controller for most of my PC gaming right now (yes, I know. that is a sin for most of you). This will be awesome if/when they release the drivers. Less deadzones will be a nice upgrade for gaming, but nothing can beat an mouse for aiming.

mageworld

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I remember I had an issue with some games under "games for windows live" that only accepts 360 controllers, other controllers would had to download a 360 emulator to get them to work(though the success rate isn't 100%) - Something to keep in mind for people planning on purchasing non xbox controllers for PC.

Ryan Klug

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

^ +1. It would be handy if you could also use the analog sticks on any controller to move the mouse.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Someone will probably develop third party drivers for it to enable more than just basic functionality, so no worries. But if someone asks me for a recommendation, it is still going to be Xbox controllers. A lot of it has to do with support. The Xbox controllers get first-party MS drivers, so it's easy to get it running right out of the box without me having to get involved. Just plug it in and go. Also they have good game support, with many games even having a profile for the Xbox controllers for simple configuration.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
You just plug in an xbox controller and it works. Alot of games support it like BF4, Crysis3, Tomb Raider, gta4, etc. Its nice when you grew up on a console. I dont mind a mouse but I do better with a controller and I love it in single player.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Remember for a lot of games to stupid to support d-input you may still need to use x360ce to make it work.

specialk916

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
this would be awesome, but without full support ill pass. im assuming this means it requires a wired connection. with a $15 receiver i can game wirelessly with one of my xbox controllers. yes typically a mouse and keyboard are better, but for multiplayer games like castle crashers, games like the walking dead and nba 2k14, or just times i want to game from my couch that little microsoft receiver cant be beat.

ksio89

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I hope Sony (or some user) indeed releases drivers for Windows. I really don't dig X360 gamepads (and I don't appreciate X1 controller either based on the imagens I've seen so far). Never got used to d-pad, triggers orientation compared with L2/R2 shoulder buttons and thumbsticks placement, they feel very weird compared with Dual Shock line of controllers. I prefer DirectInput to Xinput as well. The DS4 controller looks very comfortable, if my current Thrustmaster controller dies any soon, I'll certainly look for a DS4 controller to replace it.

The issue is that most game developers nowadays are lazy and don't implement DirectInput support , only Xinput, which will create a lot of hassle for users, such as having to use XBCE app to emulate Xinput.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Someone will probably develop third party drivers for it to enable more than just basic functionality, so no worries. But if someone asks me for a recommendation, it is still going to be Xbox controllers. A lot of it has to do with support. The Xbox controllers get first-party MS drivers, so it's easy to get it running right out of the box without me having to get involved. Just plug it in and go. Also they have good game support, with many games even having a profile for the Xbox controllers for simple configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.