Sign in with
Your question

nvidia gtx 760 vs amd r9 280x, tight budget, what should I get?

Last response: in Components
October 7, 2013 11:17:10 PM

I'm really tight on my budget, idk whether to stick with $260 gtx 760 or should I REALLY spend $50-$60 more for a r9 280x, it sure looks tasty.

Looking at benchmarks b/w 760 and 7970, they're pretty similar, but looking at benchmarks b/w 760 ans 280x, I really don't know how awesome it is for what its worth, I can't deduce looking at the scores, can you guys help me out?

CPU: i5 4570
MOBO: asus b85m-g
PSU: TX650M

P.S. REALLY TIGHT
October 8, 2013 7:00:59 AM

The R9280X is apparently a rebranded HD7970 so in theory you can look at the following specs:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/854?vs=770

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7970-vs-GeForce-GTX-7...

But price - performance wise the 760 is the better buy really.

In a year or so you can afford another 760 with a little money (taken into consideration all the money you saved not taking the R9280X) Since you mentioned you're on a budget why push it :p 
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2013 7:57:11 AM

hd 7970/R9 280X can be compared to gtx 770 not gtx 760.

gtx 760 (260)
hd 7950(200)

hd7970(300)
R9280x(300)
gtx 770(400)
Related resources
October 8, 2013 8:40:00 AM

r9 20x is closer to the 7970ghz than the 7970.
and the 7970ghz beats the 760 by a good margin.
I'm not intereste in crossX or SLI, inclining towards r9 280x
have to manage by reducing other components
October 8, 2013 11:18:31 AM

I have the EXACT SAME Processor+Mobo and the EXACT SAME DILLEMA!

But what i was thinking was of buying the gtx660 now and then upgrading it after 1-1.5years when the 20nm GPUs will be released?
October 8, 2013 12:03:43 PM

acid1drinker said:
I have the EXACT SAME Processor+Mobo and the EXACT SAME DILLEMA!

But what i was thinking was of buying the gtx660 now and then upgrading it after 1-1.5years when the 20nm GPUs will be released?

Waiting for new technology is never a solution, go for the best now
October 9, 2013 1:37:26 AM

Actually waiting is kind of a good solution seeing as the year is close to an end and Nvidia will release the new series of flagships and regular ships soon :p  Better known as Maxwell.

So if you can hold out for say 4-6 months you might have a GPU that has even more power.

They are very secretive this time so we know little about the specs...
October 9, 2013 3:16:33 AM

Christiaan Lourens said:
Actually waiting is kind of a good solution seeing as the year is close to an end and Nvidia will release the new series of flagships and regular ships soon :p  Better known as Maxwell.

So if you can hold out for say 4-6 months you might have a GPU that has even more power.

They are very secretive this time so we know little about the specs...

6months without a graphic card is suicidal. :( 
I cant wait anymore :( 
October 9, 2013 3:59:45 AM

Then it's setled:
rattle you get the R9280X
acid you get the GTX 660TI PE (if you want a 660 at least get the good 1 :p )
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2013 5:33:57 PM

rattlehead2112 said:
Christiaan Lourens said:
Then it's setled:
rattle you get the R9280X
acid you get the GTX 660TI PE (if you want a 660 at least get the good 1 :p )

yes, I've decided to spend on the 280x, the extra $50 is justified.
Here's the summary of the build
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1832294/review-1...

Good! The 280X is FARRR stronger...
October 13, 2013 6:58:09 AM

Dude, go for the R9 280X. It is kinda a erbrand of the Radeon HD 7970, a high end card. But don't forget that it has a higher clock, new GPU architecture, higher scores on benchmarks and it is highly future proof.
R9 280X:-
DirectX- 11.2
OpenGL- 4.3 Mantle
True Audio (Works like a charm. Google it to see its performance. In short, a sound card is embedded in the GPU)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760:-
DirectX - 11.1
OpenGL - 4.2
No true audio
The R9 280X is compared with a GTX 770, not a GTX 760. R9 280X is clearly better and delivers higher FPS in games compared to GTX 760.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2013 7:30:58 AM

Well show me benchmarks that will go over this.
http://www.legitreviews.com/msi-geforce-gtx-760-gaming-...

How is CF working with R9 280 X?
R9 280 X do not have cuda cores.

Is it like this?

Well maybe it bit faster in one card. setup.R9 280X
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/10/09/ms...

But how well is CF working?

500$ card? How about two 680's in sli?
260 $ / card. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx680dc2o...

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_680_sl...

October 13, 2013 11:47:14 PM

Most people will not play on resolution higher than 1920x1080p and that card will last at least 3 years so after that he can just buy a new one of the same league (entry level next gen high end card). That way you save maximum amount of cash and can play on high/ultra. I use to buy the most expensive cards, SLI ect. Then both those cards broke, I did not claim because my warranty/proof of payment was no where to be found :/  So I had to buy a new card, I decided to use my old 1 instead of upgrading again... After that I tried a entry level next gen card (similar to today's Nvidia X60's range) where X is determined by the year/generation. To be honest it works like a charm, you don't spend a ton and feel it's wasted every 4 years because you invested so much.

I do however understand some people use their pc's for supercomputing ect. and need that power, I just don't think games are really at that stage yet, the stage where you need 2 GPU's. We all thought that stage would come after 2006 with the release of the 7900GTX but even today computing just isn't that advanced. Sure it helps with frame rates but take a titan's price for example most people can build a pc and play any game on max for the same price.

As a general consumer I doubt anyone in their right mind would justify that...
Considering computing doubles in processing power every 2 years (as they say I think it's more like every 4)

So CF is not really needed although it could be a nice add on it is not necessary if all you want to do is game...
October 14, 2013 3:55:26 PM

Christiaan Lourens said:
Most people will not play on resolution higher than 1920x1080p and that card will last at least 3 years so after that he can just buy a new one of the same league (entry level next gen high end card). That way you save maximum amount of cash and can play on high/ultra. I use to buy the most expensive cards, SLI ect. Then both those cards broke, I did not claim because my warranty/proof of payment was no where to be found :/  So I had to buy a new card, I decided to use my old 1 instead of upgrading again... After that I tried a entry level next gen card (similar to today's Nvidia X60's range) where X is determined by the year/generation. To be honest it works like a charm, you don't spend a ton and feel it's wasted every 4 years because you invested so much.

I do however understand some people use their pc's for supercomputing ect. and need that power, I just don't think games are really at that stage yet, the stage where you need 2 GPU's. We all thought that stage would come after 2006 with the release of the 7900GTX but even today computing just isn't that advanced. Sure it helps with frame rates but take a titan's price for example most people can build a pc and play any game on max for the same price.

Considering computing doubles in processing power every 2 years (as they say I think it's more like every 4)

So CF is not really needed although it could be a nice add on it is not necessary if all you want to do is game...

There's a sale right now [In India]
I'm getting MSI NVIDIA N760 TF 2GD5/OC for 338$[Original price = 360$] [Sale is only for 4days]
and

The R9-270X/280X hasn't been launched but according to previous trends thier approximate value will be 30% more expensive that the US pirce i.e 273$ and 403$
respectively [These prices are relative, they can be less/more expensive]

So which will be my best bet ?
1. Wait for cards to be released and know the final price [it can take upto/more than 1 month for the card - will use iGPU till then]
2. Buy the 760 right now
3. R9-280X is worth the extra 40-60$ so go for that?
4. Any other options?
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2013 6:53:36 PM

acid1drinker said:
Christiaan Lourens said:

I'm getting MSI NVIDIA N760 TF 2GD5/OC for 338$[Original price = 360$] [Sale is only for 4days]
The R9-270X/280X hasn't been launched but according to previous trends thier approximate value will be 30% more expensive that the US pirce i.e 273$ and 403$

1. Wait for cards to be released and know the final price [it can take upto/more than 1 month for the card - will use iGPU till then]
2. Buy the 760 right now
4. Any other options?

You should always wait for two weeks after new cards come out. There will be big price drops on both sides. Just wait man!
October 14, 2013 11:47:39 PM

My original post suggested the 760 because $50/60 is allot of money for a marginal increase in performance, AMD haven't brought out anything like the 690/Titan in a while so Nvidia reigns supreme and therefor I have more faith in their drivers/hardware.

That and AMD as a whole are sacking 15% of their staff which means allot of brain drain so I will stick to Nvidia. This however is MY personal opinion, my suggestion. I suggested you go for the R9280X because you had already subconsciously made up your mind at the time and I like making people happy, it's still a great card, outperforms the 760.

The great thing about a mind though is it can change, like yours just did, in the end the decision is up to you my man. You already decided the R9280X justifies the price so if you are having doubts now I say wait, BUT only if you can wait.

If the only GPU power you have right now is integrated then I say don't wait. It all depends on if you can afford to wait, but don't wait too long because there will always be a new card, better card. The trick is making peace with that and being happy playing everything on max with YOUR build. So find the balance...

TLDR:

Decide if you can live without a GPU a awhile longer, are you sure the $50/60 is justified?

That is all.
October 15, 2013 1:15:55 AM

Christiaan Lourens said:
My original post suggested the 760 because $50/60 is allot of money for a marginal increase in performance, AMD haven't brought out anything like the 690/Titan in a while so Nvidia reigns supreme and therefor I have more faith in their drivers/hardware.

That and AMD as a whole are sacking 15% of their staff which means allot of brain drain so I will stick to Nvidia. This however is MY personal opinion, my suggestion. I suggested you go for the R9280X because you had already subconsciously made up your mind at the time and I like making people happy, it's still a great card, outperforms the 760.

The great thing about a mind though is it can change, like yours just did, in the end the decision is up to you my man. You already decided the R9280X justifies the price so if you are having doubts now I say wait, BUT only if you can wait.

If the only GPU power you have right now is integrated then I say don't wait. It all depends on if you can afford to wait, but don't wait too long because there will always be a new card, better card. The trick is making peace with that and being happy playing everything on max with YOUR build. So find the balance...

TLDR:

Decide if you can live without a GPU a awhile longer, are you sure the $50/60 is justified?

That is all.

Sorry if i didnot understand it properly, but do you mean to say that because i can survive without a GPU the R9-280X is a waste for me [considering that it's a very high end card ] and i could just settle with a 760 or a 650ti boost? [I can stay without a GPU for quite a long time, i'm patient and i have been waiting for 6months already and i think i have reached my limit now.. The Day the R9 series is launched in india is the day i HAVE to decide anyhow which GPU to get

Also sorry to say that but i never subconciously made my mind towards the 280X , i'm just looking for Pros and Cons [Like 2gb vs 3gb, nvidia drivers vs amd drivers , physx vs mantle , dx 11.1 vs dx11.2 ] etc

Very confused atm :( 
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2013 1:46:58 AM

To make it bit more confusing for you..
GTX 760 is with 2GB or 4GB versions.
4GB http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt7040610...
2GB http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt7040110...

And GTX 760 you can OC to mach GTX 770 performance. Or really near that.
Sure you can OC R9 too. You can not make really bad choice here.
Just look price and make choice. Both are working really well.
Nvidia is maybe better if you plan add second card for SLI. But if plan is stay with one card. There is NOT so much performance difference.
October 15, 2013 3:09:05 AM

Never go for the 2GB the 4GB is not that expensive (EVGA), no no that is not what I said. I said can you survive without a GPU right now? Because then I would suggest waiting it out.

The GPU department is a much more close call between Nvidia Geforce and AMD Radeon much more so than AMD CPU's vs Intel CPU's where as Intel owns by miles.

It all comes down to three things:

Do I like the price?
Will it run all my games ( including new games you want to play) at the resolution/ amount of screens I want at max?
and finally:
What do I want?

Number 3 is always different, you want the best bang for your buck or rupee in this case. So I would still suggest my 760 EVGA or Gigabyte (as they have the best prices) 4GB

You want a card with more than 2GB of memory so if you want multi screen/ SLI / CF you know you can handle it...

I prefer Phys X it's the way it's meant to be played ... see what I did there?
October 15, 2013 7:09:18 AM

Christiaan Lourens said:
Never go for the 2GB the 4GB is not that expensive (EVGA), no no that is not what I said. I said can you survive without a GPU right now? Because then I would suggest waiting it out.

The GPU department is a much more close call between Nvidia Geforce and AMD Radeon much more so than AMD CPU's vs Intel CPU's where as Intel owns by miles.

It all comes down to three things:

Do I like the price?
Will it run all my games ( including new games you want to play) at the resolution/ amount of screens I want at max?
and finally:
What do I want?

Number 3 is always different, you want the best bang for your buck or rupee in this case. So I would still suggest my 760 EVGA or Gigabyte (as they have the best prices) 4GB

You want a card with more than 2GB of memory so if you want multi screen/ SLI / CF you know you can handle it...

I prefer Phys X it's the way it's meant to be played ... see what I did there?

THE 760 4GB [ONLY MSI TF IS AVAILABLE HERE] is 80$ more expensive than the 760-2gb
At that price point i'll get the R9-280X so it doesnt make sense right ?

Looks like i'll have to wait untill i can get the confirmed prices and then contact you againb :) 
October 15, 2013 7:26:18 AM

Wow India's import tax sounds almost as bad as over here :p  for the budget I think the R9280X is the best for YOU :)  of course it is the better card between the 760 and it. As long as the performance difference justifies the price I say go for it. Who knows maybe in a month or 2 you have more money and your budget may have increased/ price could have dropped a bit so waiting is a good thing. :) 
October 15, 2013 7:35:34 AM

acid1drinker said:

and

2. Buy the 760 right now
4. Any other options?

The prices here in India are crazy, I'm saving atleast $300 - $400 by getting my stuff from the US
October 15, 2013 7:40:57 AM

rattlehead2112 said:
acid1drinker said:

and

2. Buy the 760 right now
4. Any other options?

The prices here in India are crazy, I'm saving atleast $300 - $400 by getting my stuff from the US

Is your relative getting you stuff from the US? Or you are shipping it here?
What about warranty of parts/ Dead on arrival?
October 15, 2013 9:01:35 AM

acid1drinker said:

Yeah, I've got a pretty good backup, few guys coming here, so all the stuff is split among them.
And after a week few people from here going to visit there so I can send them the faulty stuff and get them replaced by the time they are back. Its just lucky timing. :) 

As for warranty I'm mostly looking at corsair, msi asus, which have international warranty.
avoiding crucial, mushkin, ocz, adata etc
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2013 10:10:48 AM

AxlFone said:

Nvidia is maybe better if you plan add second card for SLI. But if plan is stay with one card. There is NOT so much performance difference.

I have overclocked my 7970 to reach a 780! And it actually has enough VRAM to use that power...
October 15, 2013 10:29:59 AM

CaptainTom said:
AxlFone said:

I have overclocked my 7970 to reach a 780! And it actually has enough VRAM to use that power...

Do you think the R9-280X will be able to max out games for like 2 years or so ? [With some overclocking]
October 15, 2013 10:31:33 AM

rattlehead2112 said:
acid1drinker said:

Yeah, I've got a pretty good backup, few guys coming here, so all the stuff is split among them.
And after a week few people from here going to visit there so I can send them the faulty stuff and get them replaced by the time they are back. Its just lucky timing. :) 

As for warranty I'm mostly looking at corsair, msi asus, which have international warranty.

Asus and MSI do not have international warranty for their GPU's
[Only for motherboards i believe]
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2013 9:03:37 AM

acid1drinker said:
CaptainTom said:
AxlFone said:

Do you think the R9-280X will be able to max out games for like 2 years or so ? [With some overclocking]

most
October 16, 2013 9:45:41 AM

acid1drinker said:
rattlehead2112 said:
acid1drinker said:

Asus and MSI do not have international warranty for their GPU's
[Only for motherboards i believe]

you're right, I'm going with EVGA, thanks
October 16, 2013 10:49:34 AM

Edit I am getting 280x for 410$ and 760 for 290$ which one to get?
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2013 11:55:10 AM

acid1drinker said:

280x cost ~300

October 16, 2013 12:09:37 PM

Marcopolo123 said:
acid1drinker said:

280x cost ~300

The whole world doesnt stay in US bro, for the prices i mentioned which one is a better buy ?
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2013 12:20:24 PM

gtx 760 can handle all games fine, p/p is better. would get this because 290$ is a realy nice price for india compared to us with ~250$

280x is gtx 770 level.

also take a look at a hd 7950. it has 3gb vram and performance is similar to gtx 760.
also can be overclocked very good.
October 16, 2013 2:07:20 PM

Marcopolo123 said:
gtx 760 can handle all games fine, p/p is better. would get this because 290$ is a realy nice price for india compared to us with ~250$

280x is gtx 770 level.

also take a look at a hd 7950. it has 3gb vram and performance is similar to gtx 760.
also can be overclocked very good.

Do you think the 760 will last me for around 2years+ at around highish settings?

a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2013 11:10:04 AM

i am sure!
but for ~50$ more you can get a r9 280x which will give you a good boost. probably almost all games ~2years on high-max settings would run smoothly.
!