How come my PC is running slow? Even after I have done some significant hardware upgrades to it?

jabranshakil

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I have a Compaq Presario CQ5814 PC with an AMD E-350 Processor at 1.60 GHz. I recently upgraded to a Samsung SSD and 8GB of Crucial RAM, I am not seeing that much of increase in performance, for example when I open IE or Google Chrome it takes a while for the pages to load and when I try to search its a bit laggy with results. I know its not my internet because when I do the same on my MacBook Pro everything runs quick and fluid. Can someone tell me whats wrong with my PC, if I should upgrade or buy another computer? I just have some programs installed on my SSD such as Office and Adobe CS6 programs. I am really frustrated at this since I wanted this PC to handle some work I would do on it such as Web Designing and Flash Design. I would appreciate the help very much, if possible I would like a lot of suggestions on what to do! I would like to see if their are some simple no-cost solutions first before I have to spend money. Thank you all!

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Your processor is your bottle neck no doubt about it. and you're not going to be able to do much with that board your system came with.
until you can afford a upgrade you're going to have to deal with it. heres some things you can do it relieve some of the stress tho in the mean time. First of all,go into msconfig disable unnecessary services running in the back ground and on start up go into advance system settings turn off all visual effects set your virtual memory paging accordingly to how much ram you have.you can also try lowering your resolution and setting your colors to 16bit.(can find guides all over the internet to do all of this)Now for some programs.
CCleaner(I run this daily, everyone should have honestly)

Advance system care by iobit(great full tool with tons of features)

tune up utilities by AVG(another great tool like ASC I prefer to have this running in the background over ASC for the turbo boost and what not just seems to work better then ASC)

Malwarebytes(no need for explanation renowned anti-virus software that thoroughly checks areas that most average anti-virus software's can't(best paired with other anti-virus software's))

And I personally prefer Avast! as my completely free running in the background anti everything software(just about)

again google is your friend. can find answer to just about anything. hope this helps.

Teemi

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
Yeah, I agree that your processor is the issue. I suggest building a budget pc and use the SSD and ram that you just got for this one in the new one.

Edit: lol just noticed that this was from a year ago.

jabranshakil

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I did mate, I ended up building my own PC last year around October of 2013, then completely redesigned and rebuilt my current one August 2014. So I appreciate the response, lol