Android More Secure Than iPhone, Says Google Chairman

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Maybe true, in a vacuum... But this article confirms what I suspected. Even if iOS is more vulnerable in theory, there are far, far more people interested in attacking Android simply because far, far more people use it. Why chase a turkey when you could nab the goose that lays the golden egg? Beside that anyways, I'm not sure I trust the Google Chairman to accurately describe the relative security of his platform VS others.

michael908

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
I personally believe that IOS is safer than android, just because of how restrictive it is. But Andorid is vastly superior than IOS as an operating system as a whole. Andorid is just like a computer don't go to sketchy sites, use unsecured wifi networks for personal data, download apps from third party sites that are not safe, etc. Common sense goes a lot further than being in constant lockdown.

Lachezar Tsochev

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Erm... errr ... o_O I think he has lost it :U
It was not long ago when iOS controlled almost the whole smartphone industry. Yet ...there were no malware or scam apps in ios app store, unlike Google Play. Some people see Apple's app policy as too harsh but I think it's okay. At least I don't second guess myself when I download an app :)

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Apple can issue security updates to all phones, while Android might get them....when the carrier or maker of your phone feels like it.

Just that makes Android much less secure.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
It's like the Windows vs. Apple debate's of years past (where I was firmly in the Windows camp)... but I'm not so sure the conclusion is as accurate for Apple vs. Android. When we all felt that "Security through obscurity" was what kept osx safe, apple had something like 3.5% of the PC market (obscure for sure). iOS has a substantial chunk of the smartphone market, so I wouldn't say it's particularly obscure. I think that Android is a lot like Windows however... both are open platforms that feel a bit like the wild west - and where you're expected to know enough to keep yourself safe. For me it was well worth the work to have the many advantages of windows, not so much for android... I just want my phone to work and if I've got anything complex to do I do it on a tablet, laptop, or desktop. I started with apple (iPhones up to 4) tried android (razr maxx hd) and switched back to apple recently (5)... but I can certainly understand the android love from those who like to customize their smartphones.

popatim

Titan
You just gotta love when someone drops a blanket statement like that in your lap ... and then qualifies it with: after you install a Security Suite and uninstall all your social apps...

Dear Mr Chairman; Please seek professional counselling. You are living in some fantasy world.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Curious, what kind of phone do you use?

I have used Android phones ever since HTC Hero (the international "chin" model) came out, with 1.5 on board.
I have always rooted and modded my phones to my liking, and always employed common sense when choosing which apps to install and where from. NEVER had any malware/infection on any of my devices (currently own several of them).
Currently, Android is very secure IF the end user does NOT fiddle with the security settings (like USB debugging, rooting, allowing installs from unknown sources, and the like). I have personally done all of the above, but again, I have always taken care and used common sense (and a bit of knowledge) when picking apps to install (reading the permission list always helps, as well).
I always choose to trust my own judgement before trusting choices made for me by others (like a corporation).
Bottom line is, you don't have to mess with the default settings on your phone just because someone you know has done it before. This way your phone will be secure enough, just use common sense and/or knowledge. If you lack both, stay the f... out of security settings section.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Yeah, I was kind of wondering. Your comment was a bit like Churchill's "Democracy is the worst form of government comment" without the latter part. When you find a more secure alternative, let me know.

*goes back to his Windows phone, which nobody cares about enough to make a virus for*

slomo4sho

Distinguished

"except for all those others that have been tried." Unfortunately, this isn't the case with smart phones. Our current options are all pretty bad, windows phones included. It won't get better until data collection becomes an opt-in instead of an opt-out. Blame your congressmen for this debacle.

Also, when was the last time true democracy was tried? Every modern "democratic" government is actually a republic.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
Security is as much about common sense as it is the operating system, no operating system is fool proof, and by the same token, a fool proof operating system isnt secure without users with common sense

monsta

Splendid
Manufacturers push updates on their Android devices too, you don't have to wait months for Google to do it. I have had several updates from ASUS on my Transformer, many more than what Google has released.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Let your kids play with your Android phone, download some apps. And I am sure tomorrow you will need to factory restore it.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Apple control everything on your iPhone, include how you use it wrong or not, when the Government had a deal with Apple, the Government can control all the thing on your iPhone too

If you create another account just for your kids, and secure your own, you'll need to do nothing tomorrow.
Otherwise, it would be similar to letting your kids play with your PC while the admin account is logged in. Good luck with that.
Let me see iOS do that for you. If you give your kids your iPhone, by tomorrow they;ll have about $400 worth of apps on it, ran out of memory and bogged down as hell.

Last but not least, if you are comparing Android with iOS, stick with Nexus or GE-edition phones. ALL Nexus and GE devices have received updates the day/week they came out.

All the others are Android-BASED, and the responsibility for updates falls directly with the manufacturer, since they use an altered version of Android OS.

A lot of people STILL don't get that, despite their claims of being educated on the subject. That makes this whole debate moot.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
"...79 percent of all mobile malware to target Android systems." Take a minute to think about this and it makes sense. A)Android is open and Google makes it easy to program for and modify. B) It has the largest market share It has less to do with security and more to do with convenience.

ioconnor

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
The android is more secure than the iphone in which way? All he is proving is he is a jerk by making statements with no references to the metrics. Might as well call him the new Steve Jobs.

ioconnor

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
The android is more secure than the iphone in which way? All he is proving is he is a jerk by making statements with no references to the metrics. Might as well call him the new Steve Jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS