PCI Express video card installed \ Onboard intel video drivers required

techhead1

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
I have an old Gateway GT5012 Desktop with Windows pro SP3 installed on it. I recently just reimaged it with Winxppro with a newer hard drive, i have a BFG geforce PCI express video card installed with the latest drivers installed for it from Nvidia, it works fine the issue is everytime i boot up i keep getting prompted to isntall the onboard Intel chip vga drivers for it. in the BIOS the VGA selection is automatic but no matter if i switch it to PCI E or to auto it still comes up. this is a pain everytime i boot up it asks please install these drivers. I go to device manager and click disable or uninstall and select also dont use this device it still comes up with the windows driver prompt. this is also probably due to the missing sm bus controller in device manager as well. it seems that the chip set drivers include the vga drivers as well.

techhead1

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
there server was really slow downloading that driver file, i gave up.. i decided to put back the original drive and do a restore anyways i had this issue last time i tried to just install win xp pro on a new drive with this machine damn drivers would load correctly and audio drivers as well.

I have two Gateway Laptops and a Gateway Desktop, but haven't been to their site lately. Somehow, I am not surprised by the server. Don't know how they have that these days. Gateway bought eMachines, then Acer bought Gateway / eMachines after Gateway was forced by Acer to exercise their option to buy Packard Bell ( they wanted that foothold into the European market that having Packard Bell would have given them ).

techhead1

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
i meant incorrectly thanks for the info... i just put back the original 250 gig drive that has the restore partiton on it. i havent restored this drive in a long time things have change with windows update since then thats for sure.

I have a laptop in the other room that my Mom uses and that thing hasn't been updated in quite awhile I think, which includes the security stuff as well. I have another Desktop in here in the same shape.

techhead1

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
i do as well I have a Gateway Gt5012 and a laptop 8510gz not really using it too much but they still work and perform when needed. there was a trick for getting windows updates for XP it seems that when you install SP3 there is a .ini file that will not let you update the pc using the Widnwos update web page so you have to download this other update to fix this and then you can update with Windows update page thanks MS. anyways i got it backup and running now i removed all the Bloat wear off it and it is updated to latest fixes, patches etc now.