CPU upgrade for pentium to i3

marioman3002

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Hello im building a computer and im just wanting to buy an i3-2120 for my gaming computer because its the only processor i can fit in my budget that will go in my MOBO. I mostly play battlefield 3 and am currently using a pny evga gtx 650ti boost with a Intel Pentium g620. Reason is because it seems like it bottlenecks the card 40-50 fps but it will dip down to 10-15 every few seconds or if something big happens. Will the i3 2120 help me with my performance and does anyone here use one that can tell me how it performs on their rig. Would be much appreciated.

As far as I know, only the i7 has hyperthreading.

marioman3002

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Ok so i looked a around a bit and found that the i3 has hyperthreading, has a faster clock speed, and performs decently better than the pentium i have now. I've seen some videos with people playing bf3 with an the i3 2120 and it seems to be pretty smooth for them some with worse graphics card than me. I might be ready to order it soon seeing as how it seems as a good cheap upgrade to me.

Yep, to add insult to injury, I have a laptop running one. I was able to play Oblivion on that thing with the integrated graphics and it did well, which surprised me.

Surprised me. I just got it for when i was somewhere away from this desk top and could check in on the forums I moderate. Finding about how well it did with games was a surprise, but nice when I was in the hospital, although I was on the forums and FB a lot after they were done with me.

I use mine to take to class, since my tower obviously isnt the most portable thing in the world. I like the low TDP and power consumption of the i3, as it makes the battery of the laptop last through several classes despite being a 2-cell battery. I tried not to put too many games on it so I could be more productive :)

Moral of the story OP, the i3 is a great processor. I built one for a friend of a friend with an i3 and a Radedon HD5770 awhile back, and he still uses it today for gaming.

Yeah. I put a link to a comparison of the two he asked about in my first post. I have two 6 cell batteries for mine, but had a nurse plug the adapter in when I was in the hospital. I had had a massive Heart Attack on 30 Oct. last year. I was eventually transferred to another hospital on the 27th of November for rehab as I had lost the use of my left leg doe to nerve damage. I was usually done by 2 in the afternoon, so was back in my romm using my phone to check things such as FB. Got tired of that pretty fast and had them get my computer and put that on the stand. Got it hooked up, connected to the internet, and was back in business. Didn't remember the heart attack and was surprised when I saw my Sister's post on my FB page the day after the heart attack. Much worse than I thought. I later found out that I was only given a 0 to 10% chance of surviving. Have had a triple bypass since then. Those laptops are nice to have. I have a nice HP 17" one that I inherited from my Brother-in-Law. No screen image, but is posting and booting. determined that the Graphics chipset was shot and it needed a new MOBO, which I have now. Just haven't gotten the inclination to tear into that thing and replace it.