$1500 gaming machine

FennecTheFox

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hi all, looking to buy a new gaming PC.

I have $1500 to spend AFTER taxes. It must have a SSD in it, perhaps a HDD too. It MUST be good at playing AND especially streaming games. Some people have recommended AMD processors as they state that they are better at handling streaming and the price-point is also better.

Suggestions/Links to gear would be great!

Yeah. AMD fanboys seems to do that..

Here is Intel build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($126.92 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.95 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($116.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($434.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: BitFenix BitFenix Ronin ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1450.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-09 04:58 EDT-0400)

FennecTheFox

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Thanks for the response.

1.) What do you think of this case vs the BitFenix?
Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Titanium Grey (http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-titanium-grey-window)

The only downside to the DEFINE R4 for me at first glance is that the hinges don't open both ways. But I think I want a case with a door to hide the optical drive 'cause I feel that optical drives tend to ruin the case aesthetics - unless there's some way to mod/cover up the front of the optical drive on the Fenix? *Shrugs*

What do you think about the Bitfenix Ronin vs the Shadow or Ghost? I suppose the differences would be marginal. I ask 'cause the Ghost is on special here for $69 normally $109. And the front door hinges open both ways. But no side Window ;*(

I also really like
the Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black

However the holes on the side window for ventilation kill the aesthetics for me,
and there's only 2 USB ports on the front -
otherwise I'd definitely shell out the extra money
if those two things were changed.

So now you have a pretty good idea
of what I like in a case.
Would you still recommend the Ronin?

2.) In terms of the video card - does it really matter what brand you go with? I know Zotac makes HTPC's, but usually in the past I've gone with eVGA

3.) Also do people not use dedicated sound cards anymore? Just onboard sound?

Thanks!

1.) What do you think of this case vs the BitFenix?
Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Titanium Grey (http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define...)

The only downside to the DEFINE R4 for me at first glance is that the hinges don't open both ways. But I think I want a case with a door to hide the optical drive 'cause I feel that optical drives tend to ruin the case aesthetics - unless there's some way to mod/cover up the front of the optical drive on the Fenix? *Shrugs*

What do you think about the Bitfenix Ronin vs the Shadow or Ghost? I suppose the differences would be marginal. I ask 'cause the Ghost is on special here for $69 normally $109. And the front door hinges open both ways. But no side Window ;*(

All cases are good. Take what looks best trough your eyes :)
Id take this case but that is over 200 € price.
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Gehaeuse/PHANTEKS/PHANTEKS-Enthoo-Primo-Big-Tower-schwarz::23601.html

2.) In terms of the video card - does it really matter what brand you go with? I know Zotac makes HTPC's, but usually in the past I've gone with eVGA

EVGA is good card. Coolers are not best. Id take EVGA for water cooled build. For aircooled no. Zotac makes best cards if look highend video cards.
Gigabyte and asus makes good air coolers for video cards.

3.) Also do people not use dedicated sound cards anymore? Just onboard sound?

Motherboards do have good sound on board so there is not need for sound cards anymore. Sure if you are in hifi then you may need sound card. But try first.

Look this.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/59857-zotac-geforce-gtx-780-amp-edition-updated/

FennecTheFox

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
@badboyrog - Why the 2 SSD's instead of 1? You'd also go for the 780 over the 770 GPU even though there's a 200 dollar price difference? You prefer Zotac GPU's?

badboyrog

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
''@badboyrog - Why the 2 SSD's instead of 1? You'd also go for the 780 over the 770 GPU even though there's a 200 dollar price difference? You prefer Zotac GPU's?''

ok i did some change...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NtEQ

and the zotac gpus are really good and cheap the one i choosen for you is the AMP! edition ..so is already overclocked... i choosen gtx 780 for the outstanding performance and because of him 3GB memory for high demanding games like BF4

FennecTheFox

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
What do you guys think about the Bitfenix Prodigy / Prodigy M cases for a gaming rig?
I like the aesthetics and that they are smaller cases, but they don't seem the best for airflow.
Will I be able to fit in a good video card / HDD / SSD / Good motherboard etc without having everything burn up? Haha.