Should I go dual GTX 760 2GB or single 780 4GB for 2560x1440 monitor?

joesuarez84

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
I already own a GTX 760 2GB and it would obviously be cheaper if I could just by another 760 but I'm worried it won't be able to keep up with graphics heavy games in the next year. Would 2 GTX 760 2GB be able to handle this monitor or should I just bite the bullet and get the 780 4GB? My monitor is still shipping so I'm not even sure how my 760 handles it so far.

Solution
Keep in mind that 2 GTX 760s in SLI are FAR more powerful than a GTX 780. Hell, they're more powerful than a GTX Titan! It's always better to go CrossfireX or SLI when upgrading because you're still leveraging the power of the card you already have. It will be cheaper than the GTX 780 and far more potent.
Keep in mind that 2 GTX 760s in SLI are FAR more powerful than a GTX 780. Hell, they're more powerful than a GTX Titan! It's always better to go CrossfireX or SLI when upgrading because you're still leveraging the power of the card you already have. It will be cheaper than the GTX 780 and far more potent.

Solution
Well, one thing to consider is his resolution. With next gen consoles sporting up to 8GB of ram there is no telling if future games will start to require more then 2 GB of video memory. I would take a single GTX 770 4GB with the intent of adding a second later on in like a year.

That has merit but the problem is that we really don't know if they'll require more than 2GB and if he gets the GTX 780, that means his GTX 760 is a complete waste because he won't get more than half value for it if he tries to sell it. Next-Gen consoles are also sporting 8-core CPUs but I don't see everyone dropping their i5s for FX-8350s. There's one thing that remains constant. They ALWAYS make sure games are playable for as many people as possible. That means that a 2GB card will be good for years to come, especially when in SLI.