Are my temps okay? Why can't I seem to get my core past 100 x 39? (i5-4670k)

Is my chip bad, did I lose the chip lottery?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hi!

I recently bought and built a new system last month. I've been babying it ever since, only attempting to overclock it since last week. But I'm facing an issue.

I've got my clock up to 100 x 39, but nothing past. I've only been touching my multiplier, and everything else is on auto. I've tried letting my motherboard overclock with it's built in OC feature, but every single time, it clocks my chip to ridiculous clocks. Like, 125 x 35 ridiculous.

Also, I don't think my temps are okay... I've posted a picture, can you guys please verify? Thanks! Idle temps are the ones currently shown

4vY2Cv9.jpg

Anyways, any tips of overclocking? I'm completely new, so please bear with me.

Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card

Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition 63.5 CFM 120mm Fan

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm

Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Thanks!

HI,

Your temps are really quite high, you'd really want them to be below 80C under stress testing.

Set your Vcore manually! If you leave it on AUTO the BIOS will pump way more voltage then the CPU needs (in most cases).

What happens if you set the multi to 40, leave the base clock at 100 and a Vcore of 1.25V?

Also make sure your RAM is set up properly, you need to manually enter the voltage, timings and frequency, this information can usually be found on the RAM packaging or on a sticker on the RAM itself.

The table in HWMonitor lists 3 columns of temps: Value, Min and Max. You said that this was at idle and the "Value" temps look normal for idle conditions.

What were the conditions for the "Max" temps because these are much higher. The temps are within safe limits for a Haswell CPU but you need to keep below 90*C. on your core temps.

Yogi

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

I ran 100.2 x 40, and I seem to be stable. My temps have improved greatly!
V9DiqFh.jpg

Thank you so much for helping!

Although now, I'm not sure how to proceed, what should I do from now, increase my multiplier, and not touch my voltage?

I'm trying to use adaptive voltage, and offset voltage. How do those work, and how should I use them? I really don't want my CPU to be running at 1.248V 24/7.

Also, I set my RAM to Intel's XMP and it matched the specs the RAM originally had, but I'd like to take a step further. How should overclock my RAM?

Thank you so much!

Yes, increase your multiplier next, while keeping an eye on your temps to keep them below 90*C.

The 2 voltage control modes that you want to use are Adaptive and Override. Use Override for stress testing to hold a constant voltage and use Adaptive for day-to-day usage as this will vary voltage based upon your systems demands. I don't recommend using Offset unless you have some peculiar circumstances.

To OC your RAM, just look for the settings in the BIOS. There should be choices based upon gradual changes in stepwise fashion.

Yogi

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

Thanks!

Alright, this might sound a little stupid, but I'm not quite sure how to use adaptive voltage, and I'm afraid to play with it. I've gone online and I'm still quite confused. Could you help? Thanks!

Also, keeping the voltage at 1.248, I couldn't get to 100.1 x 41, it would crash 3-5 into windows 7. Should I increase the voltage? By how much?

Thanks!

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I tried upping the voltages and clocks.

100.2 x 42

Voltage input 1.9
Voltage core 1.328

Manual voltage settings, I don't know how to use adaptive yet.

R169SOM.png

The values at the current temperature are my idle temperatures. I think they're a bit too high.
Also, the max temp seems a bit too high too.

Should I scale down a bit?

According to your screenshot, your Vcore is only 1.292 (CPU-Z). This is OK, but what were you doing to get the core temp to 90*C.? Was this a stress test?

Yogi

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

It's Intel Burn Test

Also, how do I use adaptive voltage? I put my adaptive voltage on 1.3, and -, but it made my core go up to 1.440V

Just don't do any stress testing while in Adaptive and Vcore will be well behaved.

Yogi

ranger719

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

But I want to decrease my power consumption. If I put my voltage at manual, will my voltage be the same all the time?

Yes, it will stay pretty constant with slight variation based upon load.

Yogi