MOBO may of fried. Want to test GPU, RAM on friends comp. Safe?

ztrob21

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
So I did a terrible thing. I spilt 2-3 oz. of water on top of my desktop case and into the outtake fan hole, shooting water all over my components. I shut the computer off immediately, took all the parts out and let them air out for a couple days. After putting the computer back together it started up fine until shortly after I got a blue screen stating that the computer had received a critical error and a "if this is your first time seeing this message, restart your computer" note. So I did, and now I'm not getting anything. Just a black screen.

All my fans, and their LED's work. The GPU fan is up and running just fine and there aren't any abnormal sounds. It's starts up perfectly fine as if there was no problem but I am not getting anything on my monitor.

What I discovered was the 3-pin connector that powers on the case components- the small LED light, the restart button and the power on button- no longer works. Well, only 1-pin works now and the other two are fried/no longer work. So I am pointing my finger at the MOBO as it is the only hardware I can state with a problem.

Is it possible to have a fried GPU even though it's lights and fans seem to work just fine? Or maybe it's a fried CPU?

So, what I want to do is go to a friends house and try my GPU and RAM on his desktop, but I don't want to fry his desktop. If the GPU is indeed fried, would I risk the possibility of completely frying his computer? Same goes for the RAM. The GPU and RAM are compatible with his MOBO. I at least want to rule out the GPU and RAM so I can go ahead and buy a new MOBO.

Edit: Forgot to add that I do not have on board graphics.

There was no burning smell and after checking each component, nothing looked burnt.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
As long as you can make 100% sure that you have no left over water on any other components you should be fine, the worst that could happen is the same error could come up on your friends computer. I've cleaned laptop motherboards before regular water, as long as there is no current going through the capacitors or the battery nothing bad will happen. if you have nothing under warranty you probably would want to remove any stickers from your components before you switch them over and let them air dry 'outside' if the weather for the rest of the day and night look good.