Help me find the best NAS media sharing system

lastv8

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hi, I want to rip all of my DVD's (about 200) and put them, along with all my music and photos, on some kind of central home server that can be accessed by any device on the network.

I want something that can hold at least 2TB in Raid 1 (2x 2TB) for redundancy.
My initial research has lead me to the Buffalo Linkstation Duo but I wanted to know if there was a better way of doing it or if anyone had any direct experience with the Buffalo or any other NAS drive system.

Thanks in advance.
Stephen

popatim

Titan
2Tb in raid1 is not an issue.

The problem is different devices may need different encoding of your ripped movies. A Nas will not be able to transcode (change the encoding from one format to another) on the fly, you will need something more powerful to do this.

I suggest you check the specifications for your devices and see if one encoding format might work for all of them first.

The next issue that you might run into is network bandwidth. How many files you can stream at once depends on the network setup, the encoding the files are using, and the ability of your nas to stream the files (how fast it can send data). Do you have gigabit wired or relying on wireless?