Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

(X79 & i7-4820K) VS (Z87 & i7-4770K) for Gaming

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 9, 2013 9:09:42 AM

Hello people,

I want to build a gaming desktop and my question is pretty obvious from the title. What I want to add is, I'm not interested in extreme processors or 3/4-way SLI (although 2-way SLI is an option I might consider later) because I think they are unnecessary.

When I started thinking about parts, I thought I would just get a good Z87, but then I looked at CPUs and the i7-4820K's higher specs over i7-4770K caught my eye. They are pretty similarly priced, so should I go with X79 motherboard & i7-4820K combination? What would be the difference between the 2 systems in terms of gaming performance and future upgradability?

I want my system to not frustrate me for the next 4 years without upgrades (except GPUs, but that's not the question anyway) and yes I am thinking of overclocking in the future if it's going to extend my system's lifetime, but I'm not an OC expert so not looking to pay loads of money for extreme motherboards.

I welcome other suggestions you might have as well. Thanks

Oh and once I decide whether I'm getting an X79 or a Z87, I'm probably going to create another thread and ask which brand & model I should get, so if you have any suggestions about that now, you are welcome to express yourself :) 

More about : x79 4820k z87 4770k gaming

a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 9:44:21 AM

I was looking at the same thing when I did my build, but at the time, it was X68 Socket 1155 or X79 socket 2011. I went with the X68 and a 2600k, and then they came out with the Z77 and Gen3 stuff, just before the release of the Ivy Bridge. The first week of June, I went to a Z87 and 4770k. I figure I am good for a while, although amy upgrade the Video card at some point, although I am running a GTX 680 at the moment. 2 Way sli / Crossfire is fine. I recently saw a build with quad Titans. That is extreme.
October 9, 2013 9:45:13 AM

The 4820k is better for video editing also it has 3.70 ghz and the 4770k has 3.5 ghz.
The 4820k also has higher l3 cache so I would expect it would be faster. I would go for the i7 4820k
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 10:00:47 AM

Depends on what he is going to be doing with it. If it is just the noramal day to day stuff along with gaming, the price difference isn't worth going with X79.
October 9, 2013 10:10:18 AM

coastie65 said:
Depends on what he is going to be doing with it. If it is just the noramal day to day stuff along with gaming, the price difference isn't worth going with X79.


I am going to do day to day stuff with gaming, so no editing or anything. So the underlying question is I guess, which one offers a better price/performance ratio and is a better investment for a system that needs to last about 4 years. I just had a look at the i5- 4670K by the way, which is 2MB short in cache but way cheaper compared to the i7-4770K and has almost the same clock speed. Wondering if both would give the same gaming performance for the next few years... I would go for the i5 and get another CPU when I needed in a few years if I knew the 1150-socket isn't going to change in the future, but I'm sure it will :D 
October 9, 2013 10:19:10 AM

Good idea. The i5 will give you near enough the same gaming experience. The i7 will do editing and multitasking a bit better but as you said you dont edit. So I would invest in the i5. Cheaper, Similar and generally a great cpu.
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 10:21:18 AM

The_JoKeR_ said:
coastie65 said:
Depends on what he is going to be doing with it. If it is just the noramal day to day stuff along with gaming, the price difference isn't worth going with X79.


I am going to do day to day stuff with gaming, so no editing or anything. So the underlying question is I guess, which one offers a better price/performance ratio and is a better investment for a system that needs to last about 4 years. I just had a look at the i5- 4670K by the way, which is 2MB short in cache but way cheaper compared to the i7-4770K and has almost the same clock speed. Wondering if both would give the same gaming performance for the next few years... I would go for the i5 and get another CPU when I needed in a few years if I knew the 1150-socket isn't going to change in the future, but I'm sure it will :D 


The 4670k is a good way to go. The biggest difference between that and 4770k, besides price, is the fact the the 4770k has Hyperthreading. Performance is just as good.
October 9, 2013 10:28:11 AM

coastie65 said:
The_JoKeR_ said:
coastie65 said:
Depends on what he is going to be doing with it. If it is just the noramal day to day stuff along with gaming, the price difference isn't worth going with X79.


I am going to do day to day stuff with gaming, so no editing or anything. So the underlying question is I guess, which one offers a better price/performance ratio and is a better investment for a system that needs to last about 4 years. I just had a look at the i5- 4670K by the way, which is 2MB short in cache but way cheaper compared to the i7-4770K and has almost the same clock speed. Wondering if both would give the same gaming performance for the next few years... I would go for the i5 and get another CPU when I needed in a few years if I knew the 1150-socket isn't going to change in the future, but I'm sure it will :D 


The 4670k is a good way to go. The biggest difference between that and 4770k, besides price, is the fact the the 4770k has Hyperthreading. Performance is just as good.


Oh right, I forgot it didn't have hyperthreading. Yeah that might be important since new games have started to take more and more advantage of multi-core CPUs, so it might be better to have more threads available. I'm going to go with an i7.
November 27, 2013 6:04:08 AM

The_JoKeR_ said:
Oh right, I forgot it didn't have hyperthreading. Yeah that might be important since new games have started to take more and more advantage of multi-core CPUs, so it might be better to have more threads available. I'm going to go with an i7.


i have been trying to work out the same thing! there is so much out there to sway you one way or another. before i say anything let me say i am not at all knowledgable and am informed by reading i've done.

price and the end of the x79 socket cycle are two reasons to go with haswell but the most compelling argument for me is the motherboard options for the 2011 socket currently available.

a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2013 6:29:03 AM

Intel has gotten out of the Motherboard business, at least for PCs. I think they just released their last socket 2011 board(s) and I think they were the only one to make them, but not sure of that. They may release a few more Processors though. There is a new socket coming, next year maybe, but for the time being, you can do well with the Haswell and that should be fine for the next few years at least.
December 22, 2013 6:10:34 AM

I dunno if this is late, but x79 + 4820k for me. Since the 4820k has no thermal issues like Ivy bridge and haswell, and x79 has more features suited for me. If you don't plan on overclocking though, get h87 + 4770
!