green eggs and span

maybe it's just me or is this site becoming unbearable to visit. I find it nice to have a distraction while you're trying to take breaks during work, or while your work is finishing itself........ but enough is enough.

If you can't find an answer to this or these few idiots............. why not make it harder to join/sign up to use this site. I guess right now you give a user name and some kind of verification ( jumbled letters only a human can decipher and type in the box)??..... why not add to it? maybe a 20 step program. make it more difficult and maybe not worth the effort.

I've had it. bet others are sick of it too. I like to read posts and sometimes offer advice or known fixes or try and evaluate but instead of reading legit posts all I see are more and more spam messages making it a useless endeavor.

hope you get it fixed soon. don't even want to click the "toms" link anymore.

simply amazing.......... title I wanted to use wouldn't except the word spam????????????

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
We are working on improving our spam detection and prevention methods, and while we work on those, spammers are working on circumventing them. It's a constant war, and for every technological improvement we make, we're met with a step-up from the legions of spammers.

We've added substantially to our moderation team, bringing on 11 new mods in the past month. We've increased our range for IP banning, extending it out to cover wide regions where spammer nests are known to lurk. We're doing what we can to stem the tide, and I'm confident that things will start to improve soon.

Yup, Spam is a pretty constant issue for the Mod team. Our Ban-hammers are covered in gore but there are legions of them.

Methods like Captcha (jumbled letters you refer too) are actually becoming ineffective at combating spam, there are farms out there where someone gets paid 2c per Captcha they solve and its the spammers who are employing them.
By its nature, security is inconvenience. We are kicking around a few idea's on how to combat spam, including mod approved first posts and the like. Its just a question of how far to go, too far and we wont have anyone creating new accounts because its such a high barrier to entry, too little and we still have the same problem.