Is My New Computer Up to Par for Next Gen Gaming?

Wesley Newsome

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hello everyone!

So I just bought a computer with these specs:

-Intel Quad Core i7 920 @ 2.6GHz
-Nvidia 580 GTX [Graphics Clock 772MHz / Processor Clock 1544MHz / 1.5GB VRAM / 384-bit]
-Corsair 6GB DDR3 RAM [1600MHz / PC128000 / 8-8-8-24]
-EVGA E758 Motherboard
-Corsair 650W PSU (Bronze)

Now for $450 I thought it was a good deal. Any secondary opinion on that?

But the main question is will it be able to run games such as Battlefield 4 or Watchdogs at high-max settings at 1080p and sustain an fps above 40? (using a 24 inch monitor too)

Looking at youtube videos, the video card seems to hold up just fine but I'm not sure about the hardware. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
the 580 is getting long in the tooth but it should cope with high settings on bf4. i have been playing the beta on my sig system and it ran fine on medium high@1080p although it is running an oc on the cpu. for $450 you got a bargain...
after a few round i would say that the game manufacturers are deliberately embellishing the requirements although a quad running at 2.4 or better is required the rest of the spec for watchdogs seem to be pulled straight out the air...
reason for this thinking. the pc market for high end gaming rigs is still pretty small compared to the market for medium and entry level so releasing games for the higher end tier is just bad business. crytec found this out with crysis. less than a million copies sold but 5...
the 580 is getting long in the tooth but it should cope with high settings on bf4. i have been playing the beta on my sig system and it ran fine on medium high@1080p although it is running an oc on the cpu. for $450 you got a bargain...
after a few round i would say that the game manufacturers are deliberately embellishing the requirements although a quad running at 2.4 or better is required the rest of the spec for watchdogs seem to be pulled straight out the air...
reason for this thinking. the pc market for high end gaming rigs is still pretty small compared to the market for medium and entry level so releasing games for the higher end tier is just bad business. crytec found this out with crysis. less than a million copies sold but 5 million illegal downloads most of which were just to see if the game worked and it did.

e.a want your money so they will make there games run on the lowest possible spec they can get away with...

Solution

Wesley Newsome

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Thank you for the help.
I assume lowering resolution would allow for smoother rates but I prefer a more crisp look. I buy and resell off of craigslist and basically got this without losing any money. Should I sell this near PS4/Xbox One release and buy a console for gaming rather than upgrade this?
I know I can resell this for about $700+ which would allow me to get a console bundle with many games and such.
I own a laptop for internet browsing/ office needs but the desktop is mainly for entertainment.

no need to drop the rez it wont give much more and would likely cause a gpu bottleneck if you go to far.
its a decent enough system to play most games on max settings and new games on high settings.
reason!. most games are ports from consoles so dont require huge amounts of gpu, while most pc games are made for low mid systems which yours is still above...
the 580 is a good powerfull gpu and the 920 when oc'd to 3.6 is a match for the 2600k at stock. so yes mate you have plenty of grunt to play anything you want and for the most part at what ever quality you want.

also dont be foold by the requirements of the likes of watchdogs. that game is built to run on the ps4 and xbone. niether of which are anywhere near your system as far as raw performance goes... it really is a myth that you will need a 780 to max out the game... yes you would need such a card to run 8xaa or 4k display but you dont need that filter if you have a 24inch 1080p or better screen...