We are asking for a solution and a recommendation

Mahjonng

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi Everyone on Tom's Hardware website,

We are asking for the following: a solution to prevent a problem from happening again in the future and a recommendation of an all-in-one FREE full version of a firewall to use, both for our Vista installed laptop.

First to explain in reference to 'a solution': recently I tried to erase 0 byte shortcut ghost files.
I used 4 programs but I was not successful.

Also I read advice given to a person on another website to try 'chkdsk /f ' and 'chkdsk /r'

I also found the following instructions on the net, which I have not tried yet:

"1. Click Start.
2. Type “cmd” in the search bar and press Enter.
3. In the command prompt window, type “c:” (c colon) press Enter.
4. Type “cd users” press Enter.
5. Type “cd Jessica” press Enter. (replace Jessica with users name)
6. Type “cd desktop” press Enter.
7. Type “dir /p” press Enter.
8. Make a note of the filename as it appears in the command prompt.
(sometimes it may contain tilde (~) or number)
9. Type “del <space> filename” (filename as it appeared in command prompt.
10. Restart computer and check if issue is fixed."

So, the question is: what is best method to use?

Second to explain in reference to 'FREE full version of a firewall to use': I have installed 1 anti-virus program and two firewalls onto our laptop that do 'work' together, most of the time. But as I stated above we need a recommendation for an all-in-one program.

I do know, because of the Rules Of Conduct, that no one is allowed to provide us a recommendation on this website, because of naming a product. But, if allowed by the Moderators, 'you' can send us a reply to my e-mail address after I have sent it to 'you' using the 'private message' service.

Therefore, in reference to the above, I thank anyone for their patience in this matter and I look forward to receiving a reply soon.

From

Mahjonng

people give specific prouct recommendations on here all the time.

i think you may be thinking about the advertising part of the COC where you blatantly advertise a product for personal gain.

sorry i dont know of any free products but i personally use a paid alternative (kaspersky internet security) and it works great.

TRENDING THREADS