EVGA GTX 650 fan not spinning

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hi, I got a GTX 650 a week or so ago, and immediately RMA'd the card because of a defective fan, I got my replacement card yesterday, and tested it to find that the fan was also broken (or it seemed). I then contacted EVGA support about a possible 2nd RMA, to find out that the first card I RMA'd actually wasnt defective at all, I shot an email to the EVGA support staff to ask what could possibly be effecting the fan on the gpu, they told me that the fan was powered through the pci-e slot not through the PSU, and then instructed me to try to sit the gpu in a way to see if the fan would work, if that didn't work then they said it probably had to do with the pci-e 2.0 slot itself, I believe it doesn't have to do with the slot being broken or anything because I can still run my old ATI radeon 4850 in the system without any problems with the gpu or fan, (and the 4850 eats way more power), Has anyone had these sort of problems with their gpu's? or does anyone have any other suggestions or helpful tips?

chardm

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
What are your PSU's specification? GTX 650 is powered by the PSU's 6pin, the PCIe slot is for transfer of data and memory bandwith/s from your GTX 650 through your chipset and system then to your monitor(via VGA cables). Also consider downloading latest drivers for nvidia, it may have solutions to fan problems.

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

its a 360 watt PSU with a 12v 15 amp rail, etc. its below the recommended PSU, but other people have been able to run the same card off of the same computer (dell 435mt) with the same PSU. I can even run a more power hungry card off of it, and as they said the PCI-e slot was powering the fan, or so it seems, not the PSU.

chardm

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Its a small possibility to have defective card with EVGA because they produce high quality cards. Can you Boot the PC with the card? If yes, uninstall all drivers of the 4850, then install latest nvidia drivers.

Try that EVGA GTX 650 to other PC, if it run with no problems (defective fan) maybe the problem is on your system. What is your PC specification? My thoughts is on your PSU, it may be enough for your system with the 4850, but not with the GTX 650. Btw, please specify your PSU (Brand).

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

I had already uninstalled all of the AMD/ATI drivers, and even went a step further afterward to delete all remaining registries, and files for AMD/ATI, I then reinstalled my gtx 650 drivers, but it still doesnt work. At this moment I cannot get my hands on another PCI-e loading computer as well. Also when i spun the fan around with my finger, i felt some amount of resistance, and moderately loud clicks/thuds, if you want i can upload a video to youtube to show you what I mean.

chardm

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
I cant think of any problems except of the PSU. GTX 650 has a recommended of 20A on 12v rail and a 400W. MAYBE your PSU cant run it or operate it FULLY. I need your System's Specification so i can calculate required power for your system, or you can calculate it by yourself here http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx or Google Newegg PSU calculator. Please specify your system specification.

The_Soldiet

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
The fan gets powered by the pci-e slot. Something there must be defective. Try to power on the pc whitout the 6-pin connector and se if the fan starts. If it does start it is the psu, if it doesnt it is the pcie slot. Only try it for 2 seconds max, then shut the pc down.

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

System specs:
CPU:I7 920
GPU: EVGA GTX 650
MOBO: Dell X58 stock Dell 435mt
PSU: 360w 12v w/16A
USB: 8 USB 2.0
Optical driver: DVDRW/CDRW
HDD: 7200RPM 750Gb WD 32mb cache
RAM: 6 Gb ddr3 1066Mhz
fan: 1 low spinning
misc: 1 TV tuner card

PS: i don't believe the recommended PSU calculator is accurate, i put in my system specs (with old gpu) and it suggested 600 watts, while i could run the card without power shortage with 360watts

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Hmmm.... Why doesnt your PSU have a brand? It looks suspicious to me. Throw it out and buy a new one, and all these weird problems will disappear.

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

it has a brand, sorry, its a delta electronics DPS-360fb-1a PSU

http://www.cputopia.com/psu-replace-400-p-delta-dps-360fb-1a.html

it shows it as 400 watt, but for me its a 360 watt

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Hmmm.... Why doesnt your PSU have a brand? It looks suspicious to me. Throw it out and buy a new one, and all these weird problems will disappear.
[/quotemsg]

it has a brand, sorry, its a delta electronics DPS-360fb-1a PSU

http://www.cputopia.com/psu-replace-400-p-delta-dps-360fb-1a.html

it shows it as 400 watt, but for me its a 360 watt[/quotemsg]
Not enough
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 45-50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

-ko888 from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/373610-33-power-consumption

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I'm getting confused here., The_Soldiet says the fan is powered by the pci-e slot, but others are saying i can't run the card on my system, even though I can achieve max load on the card without any issues (other than heat), so if the fan is being powered by the pci-e slot I wouldnt need a new powersupply. I tried what The_Soldiet said, but nothing happened. Should I just wait and get a new PSU or is there something else going on here like a pci-e slot not powering my fan?

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

I'm getting confused here., The_Soldiet says the fan is powered by the pci-e slot, but others are saying i can't run the card on my system, even though I can achieve max load on the card without any issues (other than heat), so if the fan is being powered by the pci-e slot I wouldnt need a new powersupply. I tried what The_Soldiet said, but nothing happened. Should I just wait and get a new PSU or is there something else going on here like a pci-e slot not powering my fan?

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

You probably don't have efficient airflow. And yes, the PCI-E slot does power some parts of the card such as the fan but the PSU powers the GPU itself.

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

my airflow should be fine, yes there are cables running underneith my card to the mobo, but they don't interrupt with the fan, I've made sure. my case is open on one side because of how hot my old card used to get (112C)

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Use Sapphire Trixx or MSI Afterburner and manually ramp up your fan.Most graphics cards try to be as quiet as possible by lowering fan speeds to a bare minimum. You could even have a faulty fan.

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

This I tried with both the RMA'd 650 and this one, the fan is completely still, even when ramped up to 60% fan speed, the fan does not turn on

hugotheholder

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
hey guys, thanks for all of your help, i finally got the fan fixed, somehow the cables were still in the way of the fan even though they didn't look or feel like they were, i removed the cables temporarily because they were simply mic and headphone jacks for the front panel. again, thank you for helping out on this stressful problem

-hugotheholder