Should I upgrade to a SSD or make the MBA move?

Koray Polat

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Dear Tom's Hardware Forums,

I'm currently in the market to either upgrade to a SSD or buy a Macbook Air. My current HP laptop is running Win 7 32 bit with an Intel P8600 @ 2.4GHZ 3GB DDR2 RAM an Nvidia 9600M GT 512MB RAM and 250GB HDD @ 5400RPM 15.4 inch screen it is will running pretty ok just slowed down over time. I'm here to get your suggestions on either getting the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB or Macbook Air 13' maxed out i7,8GB,512 GB SSD everything. I already know how to install and migrate data however money isn't a good deal to me I have a friend to give me a discount. I'm a student that will use for internet browsing, word, music, online banking, youtube cat videos hahah just kidding. Please let me know and tell me why?

a ssd would speed up your old system however it cannot take advantage of all of the speed a ssd can provide (motherboard limitation) so the new system would be much faster.

to futureproof do you plan on playing any games or the like or just what you listed? if only what you listed than an i7 with integrated graphics is fine but if you intend to do anything more in the future like gaming, video editing, etcetera i would get a mobile gpu.

i wouldnt get a macbook as apple products are typically way overpriced. i would get something similar in the pc market except it will be 15-20% cheaper.

post your budget.

Koray Polat

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
I don't plan to play games. I am going to finance it and it ends up coming to be $1681 with tax which is common for other ultrabooks.

up to you if you want the apple but i've seen prices and i know they are more expensive than pc. mac is also less suited for lots of programs which is why i suggested pc. your choice though.

for 1600 you could get a asus g75 with i7, 1080p, high end gpu with ssd and normal hdd and be much better off. its a gaming laptop sure but it just goes to show you that 1600 can buy quite a bit.