What 3D monitor is compatible with my MSI 7950 Twin Frozr?

SonJustin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
I have this gpu ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667 ) and want to purchase a 3D monitor, since I am interested in watching my 3D blu-rays as well as 3D gaming. But I was told by a friend that a monitor like the ASUS 3D monitor would not work with this gpu because its AMD... Any help?

Also, would that GPU by itself be enough to run 3D games at full speed and detail? My rig has the Intel Core i7 3930k, Sabertooth x79 motherboard, 16gb Vengeance ram, 256gb Crucial SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and my system is water-cooled with the Corsair H100

None, don't bother. 3D is only worth using with Nvidia, this isn't fanboyism it's just fact, the two sides have their ups and downs, Nvidia has their 3D. With AMD, you have to live with either the AMD software (which works with maybe 2 games), and the god awful Tridef, which has an enormous performance hit and makes playing any of your games at a decent frame-rate near impossible. The main reason that Nvidia 3D is streets ahead is because of community fixes, theres a site called Helix mods that puts them out, alot of games obviously don't work in 3D, they fix them. None of those fixes work with the AMD software. I used 3D for close to a year and I'd say less than 10% of the games I played actually worked to an acceptable level without a fix.

If you go with 3D on an AMD card you are extremely limited in the amount of games you can play, it just isn't worth the investment. Either forget 3D and just go with a '3D' monitor for the higher refresh rate, or a PLS/IPS 1440p display, or switch over to Nvidia.

SonJustin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
What would be a good or great (in the $300-$450 price range) gpu for Nvidia? I'd be willing to sell my current one and get another.

770 would work fine, no point in getting the 4GB version since you are limited to 1080p with 3D. 760 SLI would be better if you do what alot of people do and buy one now and add another down the road, 3D requires alot of GPU heft and two 760's aren't that much more than a 770 but are an awful lot faster.

A touch faster.
perfrel_1920.gif

SonJustin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks, so that MSI gpu would be compatible with the ASUS 3D monitor? I ask because my gpu is also an MSI but its AMD, so its a bit confusing for me lol sorry