Windows 7 doesn't load from SSD

G

Hello, guys. I've installed an SSD in my PC. Then I've installed Windows 7 (x64) on it. The problem is that Windows 7 doesn't load when I turn my PC on. I push a power button, then BIOS appears. Then I have an ability to choose a boot device. My SSD doesn't boot automatically, even thought it's in the first place in the boot priority lists. Do you have any ideas about that? How can I make it boot automatically without selecting a boot device every time?

G

I believe it's set in BIOS too. That's the problem.

G

do you have any other storage attached to your computer like another SSD or a HDD? Try unplugging them and just set the boot priority to

#1 CD Drive
#2 SSD
#3 USB or Others

G

No, it's only SSD in my PC now. But I have an extra HDD, which is turned off. Some people advised me to take out my HDD, while installing WIndows 7 (x64). By the way, I am not sure whether it was a good advice. Here's my BIOS settings screenshot:

According to this screen shot,you still set to boot from the Optical drive. the SSD is in the second spot and should be set to the 1st spot.

G

It is set like re2vesharmen advised. But it doesn't really matter. Although I put SSD in the first place, BIOS appears.

It would be set like the screen shot when you are installing the operating system. Once you have installed the OS, then it needs to be set to boot form the SSD as the 1st priority. In the screen shot, the Optical drive is the first priority. If you had the Windows installation disk in the optical drive, it would boot to it.

G

coastie65, it doesn't really matter. If I set SDD as a first priority boot device, BIOS loads up too. That's the problem.

I'm not sure of what you mean by the "BiOS is Loading too". Okay. ypu press the button t turn on the PC, it goes through Post then get to the Manufacturer's ( Motherboard or PC ) splash screen that gives you the options to go to BiOS or Boot menu. If you press neither then it will start loading Windows, Provided it has been installed and you are set to boot from the device it is installed on. One thing to check is the SATA data cables to make sure they are plugged in firmly.

G

coastie65, OK. I press power button on my PC. It goes through splash screens and stuff. Finally, BIOS loads up. I touch nothing. BIOS opens every time. Then I have to choose a boot device. Then the system loads up properly.

If are saying that it goes from the Splash screen to BiOS / Start up, it should be doing that without the press of a key ( F2 or Del on some ) It needs input to do that. If this is the case, try it without the keyboard plugged in.

G

coastie65, I am sure I do not press the button. Even tried booting without keyboard - there was an error.

Okay. I don't think you are going into the BiOS, but just getting the message to select the boot device. From the screen shots you posted earlier, it appears to be trying to boot from the optical drive and there is no Operating system there. Are you in ACHI mode in the BiOS or IDE ? If IDE try ACHI.

G

coastie65, AHCI mode. Disabled optical drive in boot priority list. No other ideas. Can you help?

Okay, this may get a little long. I have an ASUS board with the AMI UEFI BiOS. It is a GUI ( Graphic User Interface ). With that, on the screen with all the devices, ali I need to do is to click on the device and drop it into the positon I want it it. When I have My boot order established I hit the Function key that will save the new settings and exit. In the Other BiOS, you had to click on the device to highlight it, then use the arrow keys to move it up or down to the position thast you wanted it in. Once you had it to what you wanted then you hit the function key that is designated for this ( maybe F5 ) and exit. If the screen looks like the one you posted before, then you have not changed your boot order and the Optical drive is in the 1st position. It will not automatically go to the second position, even if the Optical drive is disabled, it will just ask you to select a boot device as it is doing. If you do not save the settings before you exit and although you may have moved them, they will stay as they were before you reassigned, them.

G

coastie65, everything is OK with the boot priority list. Optical drive is disabled there. There is only my Kingston SSD in the first position.

Okay. You have the SSD in the first position and the OS installed on it. That's as it should be. You don't really have to remove the Hdd when installing the OS on the SSD, just unplug the DATA cable from the Hdd will do. Getting back to the problem. I am assuming you are getting a message on a black screen saying something to the effect you need to select a bootable disk or some such thing. This should be the SSD that has the OS installed and it apparantly is not doing that. It could be an issue with the MBR or the a bad DATA cable to the SSD. If the opersating system has been previously been installed on another machine, that could be an issue as well, if it is an OEM copy. Shouldn't be with a Retail copy though. It is possible to do a repair from the installation disk, which may repair the MBR. If there is an issue in the BiOS, it can be reset to default bu shutting down and unplugging the computer. Hit the Start button to completely discharge it. Remove the cover and the CMOS battery on the mother board ( usually near or under the Video Card ). wait about 15 secs or so then replace the battery and then you can plug in and restart your computer.

G

coastie65, I believe it would be better if I provide several screenshots. Here they are:

That's what I get every time, when I turn on my PC:

That's how my boot menu settings look like:

Any more ideas?

P.S.: I think there is a chance it could be a partition problem. Is there a way to restore default SSD configuration? By the way, I've even trying resetting BIOS using jumpers - no result!

Maybe. I couldn't get that Print Screen to work ( F12 ). I had a Folash Drive plugged in, but kept telling me to plug one in with enough space. Had to use My camera. I think I went down too far ( your last Pic ). I didn't see anything about Boot Overide.
HPIM8700.jpg