Would this computer play well with itself?

Dakumi

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Buying a new computer with some distinct new parts, I'm trying to figure if all of these internal components would work well together to provide a decent gaming rig, with a new graphics card later on, for a bit into the future.

BLUETOOTH: USB Bluetooth 2.0 Adapter
CAS: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color)
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Quad-Core 3.70 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull)
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support) ASUS P9X79 LE Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ Remote GO!, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
WNC: 802.11N Dual Band Wireless + Bluetooth 4.0 Expansion Card

Biggest issues:
How compatible would this be with games?
Would the included wireless work 'well enough' for online games and routers?
Do I *need* windows 7 Prof' or can I get home for a bit cheaper?
(I don't need cheaper, just curious, don't want to sacrifice power)
What does overclocking do, and should I get it if I'm worried about *pushing* my computer?

I plan on upgrading the graphics card, so any tips on which card I should get when the current one is too old/weak for newer content? I prefer Nividia, but I'm quite open.

Hi. It looks good to me and you have the power. Over clocking raises the clock speeds. For instance< your processor is 3.7 Ghz, you can tell Raise the clocks to say 4.6 Ghz. Same with memory. Can't say much about the WiFi aspaect and Online gaming. I personally prefer to be Hard Wired to the router. A lot depends on your service as well. A lot of variables. Windows 7 Home Premium is cheaper. As to whether or not you "NEED" Pro, depends on your usage. All I really need is a word processor and those can be found online for free. As for game compatibility, you should be fine. Some older games may not play.

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I think is overkill going with that processor for that GPU, you may well get a Haswell i7 and most surely could get a better gpu, do you have a budget to work with?

Also, for the format I see you're looking at CyberPowerPC, if you're thinking on buying from them, get away of those "Standard" PSU's, always select your brands, or they'll throw their cheapest stuff in it, same thing with the RAM and HD, don't let them select the brand for you.

As for the Win7Pro question. For home use, just go with Home Premium, the Pro version will let you have more than 16GB of RAM but I think 16 is plenty if you'll only be playing with this machine.

Uh Oh. I missed the Cyberpower thing. I never ever recommend them. I have seen way too many complaints to do so ( I moderate on another board ). Stuff getting shipped without some things or it's damaged out of the box and the support is terrible and a host of other things.