windows wont boot after ssd data migration

yankeeh8ter12

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I upgraded to a Samsung 840 evo ssd and performed the data migration and cloned my HDD to my ssd. I restarted the computer and now windows no longer boots. the ssd is my boot drive. I don't care about the data either way I just want windows to boot again. what should I do?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I would actually just recommend a clean install, especially if you don't care about the data. While I have heard of migration going smoothly, more often than not I hear of people having issues with it, or that certain ssd specific features didnt work right because it was cloned (although this is probably in part due to the fact that they don't know what they are doing).

If you don't have a huge amount of data then backup any data you want onto an external drive, then clean install windows 8 onto the ssd. Make sure you don't have the hdd plugged in during the process as that can cause issues. After a successful install of the ssd then copy your data back in.

That's more or less my plan for when I will also get an ssd for my desktop as all of my essential data fits on an external drive, so I could just clean install the ssd, wipe the hdd, and load all my data back in from the external