WoW 3D 60fp, Beefy processor, but what needed for GPU?

SapAuthor

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hey all, searched the thread but couldn't find an answer. Building a 3D PC (3D WoW and 3D movies, will be going to a dual projector system for 1080p full 3D @ 60hz).

Saw benchmarks with some cards for 720p 3D on tom's hardware, but anyone able to tell me 2 things:

WoW Nearly all Ultra (screw shadows and sun shafts, and anti alias max, no need for it), 60 FPS, 1080p at 60fps. The build will have a core i7-3770k CPU, 8 gb gaming ram, SSD.

1: Should i go 2 medium high end GPUs (like dual HD 7870s) and put one to each projector, or will that still cause stutter and go with a single GPU.

2: Either case for Question 1, what would you recommend as a good setup without risk of losing FPS yet not overkill.

Thanks everyone, i appreciate all of you random people online!

3D, at least with 3D Vision, is not an issue with SLI. The reason this is, is that for every frame, there are two images rendered, one for each eye, and they do not get sent to the screen until both are rendered. This means one card will render one eye, the other card will render the other. V-sync is also forced on, because you cannot have tearing in a lot of forms of 3D and have it work (Active displays at least).

You basically have to figure that each video card has to be able to manage the settings you want in 2D for them to work in 3D together at the same FPS. You will definitely want 60 FPS, because lower FPS can lead to motion sickness and stuttering.

My only experience with AMD HD3D is with an active display meant for 3D Vision, so I was limited to 720p and at the time, crossfire was not supported in 3D. I believe it is now, but I have also heard that Tridef has a ton of CPU overhead, so it might limit you a bit. 3D Vision doesn't seem to have this issue.

Definitely research the exact setup you want and make sure what software is needed for it to work with the video card you choose.

SapAuthor

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

Was actually just looking at the 7970. From what i can tell for WoW it really is a processor battle, just need a beefy GPU to help it along. I'm going to get the core i7 3770k and overclock it, apparently you can get it up to 4.7ghz. A single 7970 should be fine, if ever i need another then i can get it. Thanks for the help!

TBC1

Honorable

Your welcome! glad I could help (also, you can select a best solution so the thread is complete).

While true that WoW is a processor battle, in 3D, the GPU has twice the load as it would in 2D. As a result, you may need more power than you expect. Of course WoW, at least in the past, did not need max settings to look 99% as good as max settings.