micro atx, will it get the job done fine?

mike34260

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hey guys I'm going to be upgrading my cpu, but I'm trying to save money, I would like to avoid paying 90 dollars for a motherboard, will this asus mobo for 54.99 work alright with an fx 8320? I'm trying to save money to put towards a new gpu, what I'm asking really is will I be missing out performance wise even if it doesn't have 5.1 sound and crossfire capabilities? here is the board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-795&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=6#scrollFullInfo

and here is the more expensive option

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

thanks

Jaxem

Honorable
You shouldn't really see much of a difference with a mATX besides having less features as you already noted, it's a good way to save money if you don't want crossfire or other features you won't use. That being said, that board has an older chipset that isn't quite as good, though you probably won't see any difference in normal usage. You also won't want to do much if any overclocking on that mATX board since the VRM's have no heatsink.

mike34260

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
thank you for the reply, even with the older chipset if the most intensive thing I will be doing is gaming do you think I'll be fine? and do you think overclocking an 8320 is necessary? do you think it would be worth it in the long run to pay the few extra dollars?

Jaxem

Honorable
If you're a single card kind of person (i am), and don't mind fewer ports and such, then you'll be just fine for gaming, that board has everything you need for a great gaming experience, and no, i don't think the 8320 needs an overclock (though i did mine, it was just for fun). the motherboard (as long as it's still good quality (which that Asus should be) is an okay place to go cheaper on a gaming PC, cheaping on the cpu or gpu is where you'd see a difference.

mike34260

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
thank you very much for the help man! people like you are why this community rocks, I too am more of a single card person myself so I think I'll just go with the cheaper board and pair it with a gtx 760 and an asus 5.1 soundcard, should suit me well, thanks again