R290x will be a disappointment

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
The leaked benchies are blatently fake.

Who wants a bet?

The R290X will either equal or be very slightly better/worse than GTX 780.

The reason I say this is because there next card down is a 7970 but renamed. then, according to the benchmarks, theres this HUGE gap where the 290X is better than Titan :/

Thoughts?

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

You should hope its true. It means Nvidia will have to do price drops to keep pace. The consumer wins yet again!

monsta

Splendid

Agreed!
I'm hoping AMDs R290X is faster than Titan , we need this strong competition to drive the prices down and to force Nvidia to strike back wityh a faster card. All this competition between the two is healthy and for us the consumers its awesome when we get rewarded with price drops.

I don't know why people keep saying the 280x is the next down from the 290x.
I believe that there is a R9-290 (non-x) inbetween

Even if it is on par with the GTX780, its nice competition and is a good alternative to greedy nvidia.

Aug 6, 2013
AMD have all the tech press on this release; and they have a lot of sales riding on it in regards to confidnece in AMD graphics in the X-One and Playstation 4.

QED

AMD will make Certain that the R290X is a stunning card.

I GUESS it has just over Titan performance, 4GB VRAM and is 33% lower in price than a Titan.

The R290 (no `X`) will have 3GB VRAM, with Just over GTX780 performance and will be 20% cheaper than a GTX780.

They will make the money on numbers of cards sold.

I assume they will ensure the R290X is HDMI 2.0 compliant to run Asus(NVidia) steroescopic 3D monitors at 120Hz 3D.

bob sander

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

You are an idiot troll child, I see you whining about products you do not own all over the place. Go away.

Also, you speak complete bullshit constantly. 'Nvidia could easily improve the gtx780 to a higher shader amount card by 40%' You don't have a god damned clue what you're talking about, little kid.

Nackles

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I hope the 290 and 290x are so good and so cheap that the 7xx series is forced to go down in price and I can get another 770 for SLI :)
go AMD!

corvetteguy1994

Distinguished
Yeah if Nvidia were to completely dominate they would rape you're wallet even more also if you wanted power efficient gaming go pick up a console. If you cant afford a slightly higher power bill then dont build a PC. I'm an AMD fan but all this whining is pointless, you're peaty words will not help anyone or company.

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
That's always a misconception. Companies that work with Nvidia or AMD to make their games aren't going to give an overwhelming advantage to one or the other. It usually only slightly outperforms the competition. They still have to market it and sell it to a broad audience that isn't necessarily using their partner's hardware.