How do you install HDMI Audio output for Linux Mint without internet access? Can you do anything on Linux Mint w/o internet ac

S Jaguar

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I'm going to have internet access for my Linux Mint 15 computer soon, but I've been trying to fix the no audio HDMI problem. Problem is I cannot download the apparent fix. I do have sound from the computer. But I am super new to the OS, and it does have a learning curve. Basically what I am finding is I cannot install anything or fix anything without an internet connection. Is there a fix that I am not finding that does not require an internet connection? Can I do anything besides word process and play music (what is the point of a DVD drive besides playing movies)? I know it's powerful and that the Android system is based on it, but why can I not get functionality without the internet? Please let me know I'm wrong.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Jaguar, Do say your TV is no good if your cable company doesn't carry hbo ? Of course not, there is still a lot to watch. Mint has many programs installed but if you want one of the thousands and thousands of others available then yes an Internet connection is the easiest way to go, just like your addons to your Android phone. If you need just a single file for your fix by all means go to the library or a friend and put it on a flash and install from there. Double clicking a .deb file will run it if there are no dependencies. If there are it will tell you what they are.

Do you have an Android phone? If yes use it as your Internet provider if for nothing else your sound fix.

Can't really help with your sound problem without some details but you imply you've got the solution.

S Jaguar

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I was just a little stressed that I couldn't do anything and I'm not familiar with the Linux Mint OS. Sorry. But I just wish that all the help files were not on the internet (although I'm considering buying a book). Plus, being that I'm new but am familiar with android file system, I thought this glitch that seems to be a common glitch that everybody has been facing, but I cannot fix without an internet connection, or find the necessary "files" to download. And there is no guarantee that the "fix" will work. Being a Windows junkie, I know I can use the OS w/o an internet connection. I see there are a lot of programs available but then again, need to be able to download. Maybe you can tell me how to download packages and install them on the OS. I've read about it and tried, but it is still not clear.

I knew I'd irritate somebody with this post. Sorry. :)

S Jaguar

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

The wireless adapter is on the way (I have internet, but no wifi adapter on this computer I just bought; I will have internet soon). I've researched the apparent fix, but I wanted to fix this common problem (per web) without internet to see if I could (a mixture of impatience and alarm as to why it wasn't working in the first place). I know everything is not plug and play like Windows, so I wanted to manually fix it. Seems to be impossible, which is strange. I have sound, but like most people who used HDMI experienced no audio with their TV. And I bought this system specifically to hook up to my TV. I am going to put Windows on this system eventually (and I don't think the HDMI audio issue will be a problem with Windows), but in trying to solve this problem I am finding that I cannot do anything w/ this OS without a direct internet connection. So if my initial post had a sour tone, it was just due to hours of research and failed attempts only to find that I can't download a solution that works just yet.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
sorry I'm late getting back to you. I live in the DR Congo and I sometimes have issues with electricity and the internet. Anyway, here's a good thread on your sound problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147651

Don't let the Ubuntu fool you, Mint is based on Ubuntu and uses it's repositories for software so this solution should work fine. Yes, you do need a small download of under 200kb. It has no dependencies so it's easy to install. If you need I can email it too you, PM me if you need that. I'd use the ALSA already on your system rather than trying the daily build as suggested in the solution. Just install the pavucontrol. To download the file only go here and choose your system 32 bit 64bit etc...
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/pavucontrol

S Jaguar

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

I honestly didn't expect a response after my rants, so it is greatly appreciated. And it worked! I had found perhaps the same solution, but that thread you provided gave me perfect steps. I may learn to like Linux after all... but I did receive my wireless adapter, which happened to be plug and play. Now I can actually play around with the software. Thank you so much for your help and advice. And again, I'm sorry for initially being so sour.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Don't sweat it, frustration causes rants and we should all be at peace with that. Glad your problems are solved and now the fun begins. Marking threads solved helps others find solutions.