Need to know if my old cpu will work with a back up computer.

fireboy1

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I am currently working off a back up computer with a 4006254RECS MCP61PM-GM AM2 mATX Motherboard with an AMD Phenom™ 9500 64-bit Quad Core processor. I have my primary computer which now has a "bricked motherboard" that has the H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) with an AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU. It has a slightly faster processing rate and would like to know if I could use the Athlon in place of the Phenom on the 4006254RECS MCP61PM-GM AM2 mATX Motherboard?
If you require any further information about either computers specs please don't hesitate to ask and i will do my best to get the info for you.

OlittoTV

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
no it would not work as the athlon II X4 630 is socket AM3 and the motherboard you are trying to pair it wilth is socket AM2 so it wont work!

Hope this helps!

OlittoTV

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
no it would not work as the athlon II X4 630 is socket AM3 and the motherboard you are trying to pair it with is socket AM2 so it wont work!

Hope this helps!

No, it doesn't help becuase it's entirely FALSE. If you don't know anything about AMD platforms, you shouldn't be commenting here!

An AM3 CPU has both a DDR2 and DDR3 memory controller integrated into the die. You CAN use an AM3 CPU in an AM2/AM2+ socket. You just can't use an AM2/AM2+ CPU in an AM3 socket because the AM2/AM2+ CPUs do not have a DDR3 memory controller built into them. The Athlon II X4 will work fine on the MCP61PM-GM motherboard.

fireboy1

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Avro Arrow I appreciate you helping me out with this issue, as well as Olitto TV. I was also told by another person that it would not work due to the same reason oliito tv said, however he did say he wasn't sure. I have posted more than a dozen questions on this site and no one has steered me wrong yet. Avro Arrow I am very very glad you that you explained to me that it will work. The current processor is only a 2.2 Ghz while the one I want to install is a 2.8 not much of a bump up but every little bit counts when it comes to a tight budget.
Avro Arrow may I impose on you once more with 1 more question. I am not nearly as knowledgeable about computers as you are but I do understand how the different components work. I just don't know which ones match up with what. Is there any software or procedure that I need to do in order to swap out the 2 processors?
I have read about a thousand different procedures on how to install a processor and NONE of them say anywhere near the same thing. So I am asking the EXPERTS!!

fireboy1

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Avro Arrow may I impose on you once more with 1 more question. I am not nearly as knowledgeable about computers as you are but I do understand how the different components work. I just don't know which ones match up with what. Is there any software or procedure that I need to do in order to swap out the 2 processors?
I have read about a thousand different procedures on how to install a processor and NONE of them say anywhere near the same thing. So I am asking the EXPERTS!!