High Performance Storage

jmacdoug007

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Optimal Hard Disk Solution

Hello there, I am a computer science college student working on a project that I can not seem to find a solution for. All help would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for a solution that results in the highest amount of data blocks being processed per minute. The data are around 20-100kb each.

Multi user disk stripping is required. As I believe this will result in more read write processes being completed per second thus resulting in more data being sent out.

I am not sure if I need parity or not. I believe not because parity adds an additional binary digit to data block thus making the block larger which would result in less data being sent out per second, thus minute.

I am not sure how fault tolerance affects my objective to be honest.

I would like zero data redundancy as I do not need this information stored in more then one place on this server.

I am not sure if I require I/O over lapping or not. Not too sure exactly how that works and what the pros and cons are.

What would be the best solution for this scenario and why?

Thank you very much.

jmacdoug007

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Thanks guys.

What about fusion flash drives? I havent had the chance to research this technology yet, but its supposed to be on another level then SSDs

popatim

Titan
Ther are serveral storage technologies called Fusion. Theres Apples fusion which leverages SSD and HDD to provide a user with a great experience. It seems to be very simular to Intels SSD caching to me, just done better. Time will tell though.
Then there's fusion-IO drives and those are just a different kind of SSD. True they are higher speed and put onto a pcie card to make use of them but I suspect they are just in a hardware raid0. OCZ has done this with their Revo drives for some time.
Sooner or later someone will merge DDR, SSD, and HDD's int a truly fast system. I don't mean your system DDr but rather a separate device that creates a battery backed up ramdrive and uses something like apple's fusion caching to present 1 superfast and large drive to the user.

FireWire2

Distinguished

fusion flash drives is good but it wont be as good as SSD, because the data sit on cache it limited