Should I upgrade my computer now or later?

LordDarthPerson

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
I partially built a computer around 2-3 months ago for $620. I bought the complete computer off ebay custom built, and then swapped out the old video card (Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO 384MB GDDR3) for a newer one (Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 edition).
As for the graphics card I'm happy, because I'm guessing the rest of the system will be a bottleneck with anything higher. Here are the the full specs:

- Intel Core i5 760 OC'd to 3.6GHz (not just intel turbo boost, I overclocked the base clock manually in the bios using the stock cooler, temperatures are very similar to stock speed)
- Intel DH55HC motherboard
- 400W power supply, not a largely known brand but it's been stable and trustworthy so far
- 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (2x2 GB)
Those are the main specs, and as said, I'm using the stock cooler. The harddrives are:
- Raptor 300GB 10,000RPM HDD (my main HDD)
- Seagate 500GB 7,200RPM HDD (secondary HDD)

It's a pretty good pc, especially for the price if you compare it to a laptop. I use a 1080p AOC monitor (21.5", 60Hz) and a 1600x1200 audiosonic tv (I think it's 19"). Now what I'm wondering is what should I upgrade first, if anything? Would this PC run games decently for a while? The main thing I'm worried about is the amount of graphics memory. Sure. 99% of games won't use all of it, but I'm getting horrid frame drops when looking around on Skyrim for up to 60 seconds after loading a level. I know that might be normal, but as far as I can tell it's because I'm using the HD texture pack (everything maxed) and it's filling up the VRAM too quickly. I really don't want to sell this card (for less than I bought it for, I got it for $165 and the rest of the pc for around $455) and buy a new one while replacing it for the time being with the 9600 GSO.
I do play very graphics intensive games like the entire Crysis series, and Crysis 3 /hates/ dual core processors. I might consider going into Battlefield as well, but only if I get the games on a really good special(I played the BF4 Beta @ 1080p at medium with a decently stable 40+ FPS).
Oh and the 4GB of RAM isn't an issue, I have tested all my major games and none of them used more than 3.6GB along with Windows 7 Pro (64-bit).

So my question in a nutshell is this: should I upgrade my computer in the next 2 years, or wait 3+ years before upgrading anything? I don't have any money for upgrades at the moment, but I'm considering options before saving up for anything.

Solution
i would not throw any money into the computer. a complete new system would be much more worth the money.

for your budget or a little more you could have went with newer amd hardware and likely had twice the pc. in hindsight of course.

it could very well be the 1gb of vram that is causing a bind. a high powered high memory card likely wouldnt have an issue. i dont play skyrm so i wouldnt know for sure.

4gb of ram is just about the minimum for a gaming system. typically 6 or 8 is recommended to give you a little extra. you should be fine for now though.

i highly doubt anyone will pay you the same price as you bought a video card for retail when it is now classified as used. you are likely going to take a hit on it.

---

i wouldnt...
i would not throw any money into the computer. a complete new system would be much more worth the money.

for your budget or a little more you could have went with newer amd hardware and likely had twice the pc. in hindsight of course.

it could very well be the 1gb of vram that is causing a bind. a high powered high memory card likely wouldnt have an issue. i dont play skyrm so i wouldnt know for sure.

4gb of ram is just about the minimum for a gaming system. typically 6 or 8 is recommended to give you a little extra. you should be fine for now though.

i highly doubt anyone will pay you the same price as you bought a video card for retail when it is now classified as used. you are likely going to take a hit on it.

---

i wouldnt upgrade... i would do a complete rebuild when you have the budget.

you will likely come across more and more issues with ne games where performance becomes a concern. you may need to reduce graphics levels to keep framerate up.

Solution

LordDarthPerson

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Ok, sounds good. As long as I don't have to play at a lower resolution than 1080p for the next few years I'll be fine, cause earlier I had a Intel GMA 4500MHD and a laptop, and those things forced me to play at minimum settings/resolution to get even near playable framerates at anything.