rebuild Dell Dimension 9200

mdl95003

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
My Dell Dimension 9200 desktop PC got wet (with 2" of water in the chassis from a flood of our downtown business district, caused by the city). I dried it out with a low-heat, low fan flow of air over a 48 hour period, but it would not boot up after the dry-out. I shelved it for a year, and now would like to try and salvage it, by rebuilding it using up-to-date hardware etc.

I am mechanically savvy, but don't know anything about diagnosing and repairing electronics. I ordered a new hard drive and installed it (fairly easy on this particular Dell system), but it still does not boot up. Power light blinks slowly, Dell logo briefly appears on the monitor, but everything is still deadly silent.

Any recommendations?

swilczak

Distinguished
Sounds like there may be a problem with the motherboard. If you shop on ebay, you can easily pick up a used one for cheap and replace it. Just type your model number in the search bar and type motherboard. They are fairly easy to replace, just unplug everything from the board and undo all of the screws that fasten it to the case.