Sign in with
Your question

R7 260X and power supply wattage

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2013 1:51:54 PM

Hey.

First off, my current system specifications:

AMD A6-3650 stock
Patriot 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (stock, 2 modules)
1TB 5900RPM Hard Drive
DVD-RW Optical Drive
2 USB slots filled minimum at any given time
LAN card
1 fan inside case (CPU fan)
450W PSU (19A on 12V rail)

I am looking at an upgrade this holiday season, and finally caught myself up on AMD's R7/R9 series. Seems like the R7 is a performance-grade series, and R9 is an enthusiast-grade series. I decided I'd look at both, and found that the R7 fits my budget the best and the 260X fits me. I narrowed it down to this card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).

My question is, will my power supply hold up? This card is a godsend, from what I'm seeing online, it can run pretty much any game on decent settings in 1080p. For $140, that's quite the deal.

If it will not hold up, can you guys find me a power supply that will work best here, and for a very modest price?

Thanks!
October 12, 2013 9:48:27 PM

the r7 series are very low power consumers so yes, a 450 watt should be fine for overclocking and putting at its highest capabilites
a b ) Power supply
October 12, 2013 9:53:54 PM

Prepare for bottlenecks, while the 260X isn't massively fast your CPU is pretty slow comparatively, might want to consider swapping that too. Your PSU will be fine provided it is a good make, that matters more.
!