Trying to cool down my Dell Studio XPS 1640

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris123

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Hello everyone,

Since a few years now i have the Dell Studio XPS 1640 Laptop. I enhanced some of it's stock features. I have doubled its memory to 8GB, i have switched the processor to an Intel T9900 Duo Core and i had a 256GB generation 1 SSD installed when i bought it at Dell. The rest is stock.

Now onto the problem. Already since i bought this laptop it has had cooling problems. Partly because of a design flaw. When you open the laptop screen it slides over the fan exhaust. To remedy this problem i've undertaken quite some steps.
- I have bought a Zalman cooling pad.
- I have undervolted the Processor
- I only use it on a table on the cooling pad
- I manually set the fan to max speed
- I clean out every speck of dust every 2 months
- I turn off all unnecesairy processes
- I have the latest drivers and BIOS firmware
- I am using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste (Yes, just the right amount)
- I removed the battery for more airflow form the cooling pad and less heat from it.

Now when i play a game like Guild Wars 2 on it, i get these temperatures:

Are these temperatures still too high? And if so, how can i lower them further?
Thanks for reading and i hope someone can help.

Morris

Hi, all things considered ( it is a Laptop ), the CPU & GPU temps look ok. In fact the GPU temps are good. The CPU temps are not critical by any means. The other temps are inside the case and not bad. In short it is about what I would expect on a laptop, You are taking some good steps on your own. Cooling pads are always good. You reapplied the thermal compound and I am assuming cleaned off the old stuff real good before aplying the fresh. AS5 isa good compound and you should have to worry about that for sometime to come. The Gaming temps are fine as they will get up there under those conditions.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey,

I agree with coastie65, considering that its a laptop those temperatures are acceptable considering you only reach them while gaming (some laptops reach the high 80's or 90's on the CPU cores while gaming). While they may not be great there is not much more you can do, as you have taken practically all the usual steps to try to lower them.

Hope this helps!

Morris123

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Hey,

Thanks for the replies. I did need the confirmation on the temperatures. I normally only work with PC's so i don't know a lot about Laptops. But, since you guys tell me these temps are fine then i won't worry about it :)

Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.