Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking a new cpu cooler/fan.

Last response: in Components
October 12, 2013 11:21:58 PM

Hello,

My cpu stock fan recently burnt out on me and the original cpu fan I bought for my previous system - MaxOrb Cooler - doesn't fit on my new system do to the fan being so large and my ram being too tall for both to fit next to each other.

So I wanted to ask if anyone had any good suggestions for a new cpu fan/cooler that would fit well on my system, and would cool my cpu reliably since I'm overclocking?

I was considering getting the Corsair H80i water/liquid cooler.Thanks in advance for you help!

My Specs:
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
PSU: 700w

More about : picking cpu cooler fan

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2013 2:12:26 AM

h80i would be good but if you wanted something cheaper that will do the job go for the hyper 212 evo!
October 13, 2013 10:40:00 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'll look nto that as well. I just figured the H80i is good for now, and for a future upgrade.
Related resources
October 13, 2013 12:48:22 PM

OlittoTV said:
h80i would be good but if you wanted something cheaper that will do the job go for the hyper 212 evo!

I was wondering how does the H80i work? Where and how do you use water in this cooling system?

The other reason I was leaning towards the H80i, is that it seems to be easier to maintain. CPU fans seem to collect a lot of dust and make it difficult to clean deep behind the fans, and I never seem to be able to make the fan clean enough; the H80i seems to eliminate that problem.

a c 147 K Overclocking
a c 85 à CPUs
October 13, 2013 7:09:28 PM

Steelfaithu2 said:
OlittoTV said:

I was wondering how does the H80i work? Where and how do you use water in this cooling system?

The other reason I was leaning towards the H80i, is that it seems to be easier to maintain. CPU fans seem to collect a lot of dust and make it difficult to clean deep behind the fans, and I never seem to be able to make the fan clean enough; the H80i seems to eliminate that problem.

AIO water coolers don't eliminate the dust problem - they just move it: to the radiator which can be harder to clean than an air cooler.

Yogi

a b K Overclocking
a c 135 à CPUs
October 13, 2013 9:55:30 PM

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a good stand-by to recommend.

If your case will allow for 170mm cooler clearance, the Thermalright True Spirit 140mm is a good quality cooler to have. The Phanteks PH-TC12DX is another good quality product. Within the same price range is currently the Thermaltake NiC C5, although that may be louder at full tilt that what you'd care for.

More expensive, but close to the H80i is price, is the Noctua NH-U14S, which is a fairly stalwart product. That's the last cooler I can think of that should be compatible, and also give good performance for whatever overclock you may desire.
October 13, 2013 10:03:16 PM

Thanks for the reply Yogi. Well, that doesn't sound so good. Does anyone know of any good guides as to how to clean out the Corsair H80i? I can't find anything on google or youtube.
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2013 12:34:56 AM

Steelfaithu2 said:
Thanks for the reply Yogi. Well, that doesn't sound so good. Does anyone know of any good guides as to how to clean out the Corsair H80i? I can't find anything on google or youtube.

the dust moves to the radiator and to clean it just remove the fans and use a can of compressed air which are relatively cheap and blow the air into the radiator and if you have left it a long time without cleaning it will will notice alot of dust coming out

Hope this helps!
October 15, 2013 2:22:15 PM

"So I wanted to ask if anyone had any good suggestions for a new cpu fan/cooler that would FIT well on my system, and would cool my cpu reliably since I'm overclocking?"

So the H80i arrived today, and I go to install it and the damn thing is too small to fit. I don't know how this is even possible considering my hardware is fairly new. The pin holes to secure the pump down are much farther apart, and are to long for the smaller square design of the H80i. THere's a back plate it says to secure from behind the motherboard, but the 4 holes on my motherboard don't align to the backplate.

Would you need to drill holes to create new points for this H80i cooler to attach to the Mobo, or will this simply not fit? Either way I'm going to take my comp to a tech to fix this problem as this is clearly out of my ability now it seems. My other option is to return the H80i to Newegg and buy a new fan cooler I guess.
a b K Overclocking
a c 135 à CPUs
October 15, 2013 2:56:03 PM

I just read the manual ( http://www.corsair.com/us/media/cms/manual/49-000174_re... ) and it says that, for AMD platforms, it uses the stock backplate.

So it should be as easy as installing the mounting bracket on the pump itself, putting in the mounting screws, and then you attach it to the stock backplate, and tighten. (err. It should be easier done, than said.)
October 15, 2013 3:04:24 PM

THe stock backplate that came with H80i? I don't see how I can secure anything down if i can't put the screws in the holes to fasten the pump down? Or does it mean the stock back plate (used for the stock heatsink/fan) that came with the mobo? Sorry, I'm confused... :( 

See how the 4 holes are in a rectangular grid and they don't have a square site to secure anything? http://www.msi.com/pic/product/five_pictures7_2501_2011...
October 15, 2013 4:28:21 PM

Thanks Calculatron, I understand what the guide is saying now (it's been a long day, I have barely slept, and I'm having a lot of problems with my apartment right now - so I was flustered). I got the pump on good now, and I just need to finish wiring everything up. I hope it all works good, thanks for pointing this out to me!
October 15, 2013 5:54:31 PM

One last set of questions guys, and thanks for your help so far.

I have the OC-Genie enabled, in my Mobo settings. When I look at CPU-ID, I my voltages are constantly fluctuating between 1.368-1.384 - is that ok, or is it too high? When I was using the stock fan the voltages were in the 1.46 ranges.

Also, the H80i fans were so silent at first, now they're becoming quite loud. I'm worried I might have some settings previously (from when it burned out my last fan) that might be left over and mess with my fan now. Any suggestions how I could make sure my fan settings stay within safe levels? I'm trying to find the Corsair settings that allows you to manually control this cooler.
a b K Overclocking
a c 135 à CPUs
October 15, 2013 6:09:15 PM

Well, I would make sure that your fans are operating within specifications. HWMonitor or Speedfan should be able to help you do that. I am not sure what hardware or software Corsair gives you with the product to help control the fan, but Speedfan has the ability to control fans that are hooked up to the motherboard. (Limited help, but, it's something.)

As for voltages, anything above 1.5 is when you start to need to really worry. Keeping it below 1.45 is preferable. Where you're at now is pretty good.
October 15, 2013 6:18:49 PM

Thanks again for the reply.

I went into my bios and set my mode from OC Genie II to standard. Now the core speed and voltages are fluctuating like crazy (I never seen this before). It's changing from 1400 Mhz up to 3900 Mhz; the Voltages are going from random 1.44 to 1.456!

What the heck is going on?

Edit: Is CPU-Z showing the different cores - could that be the reason it's changing constantly?
!