Samsung Galaxy S5 Could Be Announced in January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Considering the S4 is still the most advanced phone on the market except for the Note 3, there is absolutely no reason to release the S5 that early. If Samsung was to release the S5, why in the world they do it in January? That makes absolutely no sense. This article sounds more like Apple generated subterfuge to help increase Christmas sales than legetimate news.

As the novelty of the iPhone 5S wears off, S4 sales will pick up again.

Kieran Warren

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
I'd hardly say the S4 is the most advanced phone on the market. It has nothing unique other than some samsung software. Camera is way behind the Nokia and Sony flagships. Specs are beaten by LG. Screen isn't the best available. Build materials are cheap. Batteries are hardly the biggest around. So overall it really doesn't have anything unique and that is probably why it isn't selling as well as they expected after the S3

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

First, the camera is not way behind, but slightly behind Nokia and Sony, and that is one of the last things someone should care about. Go buy a professional camera if that is what you want. I'll take screen quality and processing power over a camera any day.

Next, what LG phone are you talking about that beats the specs of the S4? The S4 has a faster CPU and better GPU than the LG Optimus G Pro. The Optimus shouldn't even be compared to the S4, as it is more in the Phablet Note III class, but even against the S4 it falls short. It's only advantage is a 1/2" bigger screen. The screen itself isn't nicer.

Which brings me to my next point. The S4 screens is one of the best on the market, with only the Note III having a better one. It might not be the best in sunlight, but the the blacks of an OLED screen are amazing for watching movies. The only way I would forgo the infinitely better contrast is if I used my phone outside a lot, which very few people do. Samsung makes most of the other phone manufactures screens. There is a reason they chose to go the route they did.

Finally your cheap construction comment just reeks of your ignorance, Do you really think the aluminum used in soda cans is some exotic material? Plastic is lighter and more impact resistance. Not to mention no one gets to see their shiny aluminum finish under their phone case. Plastic allows for quick and easy battery and SD card changes.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
IMO Samsung risk overexposing the galaxy brand, right now Samsung has a galaxy model in everysize, each of which there's two generations off. S4, S3, S4 mini, S3 mini, Note 2, Note 3, Note watch, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy tablet.

I hope Samsung tries something a different with the S5 kinda of like what HTC done with the latest offering (HTC one, with it's unibody and high quality speakers), with greater battery life or high quality finish like you get with a iPhone of One.

016ive

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
There is not much reason for Samsung to release a new Flagship unless the Exyons chip that will power it is 64bit.Though 64bit is going to be just a marketing ploy :)

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Are there still using Snapdragon 4-cores (32-bit 1.9Ghz)???? iPhone 5S, A7 2-cores (64-bit 1.3Ghz) is way better then Snapdragon crap...

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
mdbrotha03,

It's still beat the shit out of Snapdragon 800

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/19/tests-show-iphone-5s-a7-chip-is-dual-core-still-beats-quad-core-android-competitors/

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

There is so much mis-information in your post, it is unbelievable. The anodized aluminum is significantly stronger than the plastic on S4. The blogs on the net say it is, multiple drop tests prove it, why is it so hard to understand through your fanboyism that aluminum is better??

Also, I gotta say that the screen on the S4 is great, but not the best. So what if it has great blacks. Many tests that compare it to the iPhone 5 say that the iphone 5 is less over-saturated and has better natural colors. But I will still say the S4 screen has many other improvements over the iPhone 5's screen to say the IP5 screen is better.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hahahha can you imagine if Samsung puts out the next galaxy as Galaxy S5 hahhahaha that would be the biggest troll attempt at Apple ever.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

For every drop test you could find showing the S4 loosing to some other aluminum phone, I could find one showing the S4 beating that same phone. Even the best of these drop tests fail under the slightest bit of scientific scrutiny. The results are so inherently random and the price of these phones so high that a large enough sample population is never used. The results are meaningless, even the ones showing the S4 winning.

One thing can be proven though. The impact resistance of plastic is a far greater than aluminum. When was the last time you saw an aluminum football or motorcycle helmet? Jabroni.

Yeah, I studied as a structural engineer in college. Plastic and metal are just different. Whether or not one is better depends on your application. I do get a sense that the iPhone fares better than the S4 in drop tests, but I mostly attribute that to the lower mass (112g vs 130g) and smaller size (shorter lever arm when dropped on an edge or corner, resulting in smaller torques - the rotational analogue to forces). If you could enlarge an iPhone to S4 size, or shrink an S4 to iPhone size, I suspect they'd perform pretty similarly in drop tests.

The problem with metal in crashes is that it's very rigid. Rigid structures transmit all the acceleration forces directly to the internal components. A flexible material helps spread those forces out over time, reducing the acceleration forces. If you want a crash-friendly metal body, you need to design in collapsing tubes which absorb energy by crumpling in a pre-designed way. The downside being once it's crumpled, you need to replace it with a new one. With plastic, the parts which bent simply unbend once the force is removed. (Electronics can easily survive several hundred g's, so by "components" we're mostly talking about the screen here. And Samsung/LG are well on the way to solving that problem with flexible screens.)

Also, the iPhone's colors are more accurate because it's pretty obvious Apple is color calibrating them. The iPhone screens are not magical - most of them are made by Samsung or Sharp so it's not like they have better hardware. Android simply does not yet support color calibration. Samsung lets you pick different color schemes, and as Anandtech's reviews have shown, the Movie profile is very close to spot on accurate. The oversaturation in OLEDs is also a desirable trait (if you can calibrate it). It means the screen has a very large color gamut (can display purer colors). So if Android would just add support for color profiles, the OLED screens would completely blow away LCDs in terms of color. (LCDs still win out in max brightness.)

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Not to jump in the fan boy war but let me just put this out here: the S4 camera is behind Nokia (920) a whole lot I did side by side tests in common indoor situations. Out door I didn't test much but I think they were close. The phone creaked and crackled just holding it. The plastic was slimey and collected dirt quickly. The CPU is good but the screen is oversaturated by a lot. Performance was good but I'm just not crazy about touchwiz. Is it the best phone hands down? No way but it does compete very well. Because of personal tastes I would pick a different phone but I'd also recommend it to many people.

Now about the s5... Not happening. April at the soonest

Aaron Briggs

Honorable
May 13, 2013
really sad there are so many idiots out there that will buy this crap when the current isnt a year old. God i hate Smart Phones turning everything into throw away trash. I have a GS4 for a work phone and i hate it, terrible battery life, runs slow after a couple days, so many services i cant remove its like what Laptops were back in the day, companies load there blaotware onto it and slow everything down.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
The big problem with the Smartphone market in the US especially is the same one the PC market has. Smartphones are getting to the point where there is no real reason to upgrade them every year or two. If you're someone like me who has a Galaxy S3 or better, you can already run 99% of the apps, get the latest version of Android from Cyanogenmod, and have a phone with a nice screen that is perfectly smooth.

I'll admit I'm considering picking up a Nexus 5, but that's just because I'm an enthusiast and like the Nexus line. A normal user would have absolutely no reason to upgrade unless they want to play the absolute latest games or just have to have the latest and greatest thing.

If you compare the LG G2 to the launch S4, yea its better in one way which is the processor which is a Snapdragon 600 vs 800. But the S4 LTE-A has a Snapdragon 800.

Honestly phones are not very unique. Short of software and maybe some design queues like screen or button placement/materials they all use the same processors for the most part.

Its all about the feel. The S4 is a great phone. The HTC one, LG G2 are also great phones.

Until there is another CPU design it wont be anything more than one company releases, the next releases a few months later with a bit better CPU/camera etc.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Ugh. Its the flexible back plate you here crackling, not the phone. Take off the backplate and squeeze as hard as you want. You won't here a thing. If the crakling annoys you, get a case like everyone else. I think it's a small price to pay for better shock absorbtion and easier access to the SD card and battery.

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

so because its the plastic back that is creaking it makes the problem so much better. thank you so much I had no idea it was the plastic making it do that I always thought it was the screen. /s anyways an sd card is easier to get at if it is in a slot on the side like the sim is in most phones. a removable battery is nice but a phone that doesnt sound like a haunted house is preferable imo. anyways I had a Spigen case on it and it still would creak (lot less but still a little) with a tight grip. I could hear it creak going down the highway at 65mph windows down when it was out of the case. THAT is unacceptable. I was trying to be generous in my first comment. But you still missed my point: the phone just competes not dominates. no phone dominates the android market right now.

monsta

Splendid
The next Samsung phones are said to be made of metal, I believe this may be the first model they release with the metal chassis, they have been working on doing this for awhile, so it makes sense to release the next Galaxy with the new chassis in metal to compete with the 5S as soon as they can to get sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS