Help with Intel Q6600 overclock!

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • q6600
  • Intel
Last response: in Overclocking
October 13, 2013 6:09:13 AM

Hi,
I’m new to the overclock world and I recently bought a Intel Core Quad Duo Q6600. I know it is really overclockable and I would like to run it to just 3.0 Ghz (now it is 2.4, standard). These are its proprieties: http://ark.intel.com/products/29765.
My motherboard is a Foxconn 9657AA (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=moth...) with the latest bios available, and I have 4 stick of 1 GB of Kingston 667 Mhz.
I know this is an old system, but it’s what I have and I just would like to get the most out of it.

I checked out the internet for guides and other people who wanted to do the same things, but I didn’t understand everything. I thought it would have been better to ask to people who understand this completely!
I got that I should put up the Bus Speed to 333 Mhz, with the multiplier at 9, put up the cpu-voltage a little bit (how much do you think would be perfect?), and change the FSB to DRAM ratio(now it is 4:5), but to how much? Are there other things I should change?
I also have some problems with finding the right attributes in the bios! I’m posting a couple of pictures, it would be nice if you guys also could guide me through the bios. I just don’t want to change anything I don’t have to!

(photos of CPU-Z and BIOS)
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/thewhitemamba24/librar...

I know that for guys with experience like you are this could sound really dumb, but I just don’t have any experience and I would like to get the most out of this CPU I (safely) can.
Thanks for the help!

More about : intel q6600 overclock

a c 126 K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 6:48:23 AM

Hi,

Try and overclock alittle bit at a time, increase the FSB slightly (maybe 280 to start with), adjust the voltage to 1.35V and make sure your RAM is running within it's rated specs, you may need to adjust the FSB/DRAM ratio to do this. Also make sure the other RAM values are correct like DRAM voltage and timings.
See if it boots into windows, if it does then try a stress testing program like Prime95 or OCCT and download Hardware monitor so you can watch your temps. Make sure you don't exceed 72C under load.
Hopefully that gets you started.
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 6:55:25 AM

I don't think I'd trust that board OCing a quad..
If anything you should lower voltage some and see how high you can overclock with that.
Seriously dude...Don't overclock a quad on that board,it could catch on fire.
Related resources
a c 126 K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 7:20:36 AM

schmuckley said:
I don't think I'd trust that board OCing a quad..
If anything you should lower voltage some and see how high you can overclock with that.
Seriously dude...Don't overclock a quad on that board,it could catch on fire.

I think it's abit dramatic to suggest his/her board might catch on fire, It may not be a great board for overclocking but it will manage a modest overclock.

These guys managed a reasonable overclock: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2012&p...

Yeah they used a Duo but I still think OP's board will be fine with a modest overclock on a quad.
October 13, 2013 7:27:13 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi,

Try and overclock alittle bit at a time, increase the FSB slightly (maybe 280 to start with), adjust the voltage to 1.35V and make sure your RAM is running within it's rated specs, you may need to adjust the FSB/DRAM ratio to do this. Also make sure the other RAM values are correct like DRAM voltage and timings.
See if it boots into windows, if it does then try a stress testing program like Prime95 or OCCT and download Hardware monitor so you can watch your temps. Make sure you don't exceed 72C under load.

Thanks so much for the reply!
Ok, I know how to change the FSB on the bios, the Vcore too... When you say "running on rated spec" you mean 5-5-5-15? And i think i can set this manually. But on the bios I cannot manage to adjust the FSB:D RAM ratio (should I change it to 1:1 when i get to 333mhz for the FSB?)
What should I change the ram voltage to?
If you can check the photos of the bios i posted in the first post maybe you can figure it out? :) 
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 7:38:30 AM

As far as RAM voltage..2.0-2.2v
See if it will do 4-4-4-12
The "catch on fire" thing is not being overly dramatic;It's something that's highly likely to happen if you OC a quad on that motherboard.Set the Vcore @ 1.15-1.2 and see how far you can go stably with that.

How to lower ram timings: Lower the 4 settings cL,trcd,trp,tras) 1 setting at a time.one notch at a time .lower it..reboot..see if post..lower 1 more..reboot..etc..until you don't POST;then go back to the last one that worked..this will put you in the ballpark
a c 126 K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 7:41:49 AM

thewhitemamba24 said:
Rustyy117 said:
Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply!
Ok, I know how to change the FSB on the bios, the Vcore too... When you say "running on rated spec" you mean 5-5-5-15? And i think i can set this manually. But on the bios I cannot manage to adjust the FSB:D RAM ratio (should I change it to 1:1 when i get to 333mhz for the FSB?)
What should I change the ram voltage to?
If you can check the photos of the bios i posted in the first post maybe you can figure it out? :) 

What you listed there (5-5-5-15) are your memory's timings, but you'll also need to know the voltage and frequency, this info should be on the side of the memory sticks themselves, on the packaging or you can probably find it on the manufactures website (if you know the name of the model of the RAM).

I don't know your memory's rated frequency so it's hard for me to suggest a ratio, but say for example your FSB was 333Mhz and your DRAM ratio was 1:1 then your memory would be 666Mhz because your RAM is DDR2 (Double data rate) so it's multiplied by 2 (333Mhz x 2 = 666Mhz).
October 13, 2013 7:53:12 AM

Those are 1 GB stick from Kingston, the Frequency is 667 mhz and the voltage is 1.80...
Then should i put the timing on 4-4-4-12 and the voltage at 2-2,20? What about the FSB:D RAM ratio if the FSB is 333? ( i guess 1:1 right?) I still have no clue on how to change the ratio on this BIOS..! There is this "Memclock Index Value" that i can set to: 533, 667, 800... what should i do?
Thanks again for the help..!
a c 126 K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 8:04:04 AM

thewhitemamba24 said:
Those are 1 GB stick from Kingston, the Frequency is 667 mhz and the voltage is 1.80...
Then should i put the timing on 4-4-4-12 and the voltage at 2-2,20? What about the FSB:D RAM ratio if the FSB is 333? ( i guess 1:1 right?) I still have no clue on how to change the ratio on this BIOS..!

Ok so set the voltage to 1.80V and your frequency is 1333Mhz (667 x 2), leave the timings at stock for now (5-5-5-15).
If your FSB was 333Mhz then you'd want a 1:2 ratio

333Mhz x 2(Ratio) = 666Mhz,

666Mhz x 2(DDR) = 1332Mhz

Hope that makes sense, Have you found the FSB/DRAM ratio option? or can you just not change it?
October 13, 2013 9:38:32 AM

Sorry, I meant that my frequency was 667 (333x2).. So i would have a 1:1 ratio... I don't see an option to change the ratio itself, but there is this "Memclock Index Value" that i can set to: 533, 667 or 800... what should i do?
a b K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 1:16:06 PM

set the ..whatever.. to 533
October 13, 2013 1:40:56 PM

schmuckley said:
set the ..whatever.. to 533

You think I should set the memory timings to 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15? The ram voltage at 2.0 and the CPU lower of what it is now?

Thanks for the help :) 
a c 126 K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 1:44:18 PM

Why not get the CPU overclock done first before trying to overclock the RAM?
October 13, 2013 2:02:38 PM

Rustyy117 said:

Would the system run if I don't change the memory too? I thought it wouldn't boot..!
a c 126 K Overclocking
October 13, 2013 11:52:31 PM

thewhitemamba24 said:
Rustyy117 said:

Would the system run if I don't change the memory too? I thought it wouldn't boot..!

What I'm saying is, just stick to stock for the RAM whilst you overclock your CPU.

Putting the timings to 4-4-4-12 might not be stable and there's no need for 2.0V at the moment.

So put your timings at 5-5-5-15, DRAM voltage at 1.80V and choose an appropriate ratio for your RAM so it's running at or below 667Mhz.
Then you can start overclocking your CPU.
!