Help to finalize my build. Video card suggestions. (750D case, i7-4771, asus maximus vi formula, 16GB RAM)

digaev

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Hi, please help me to select a video card for my new build. I would like to install either stand-alone video card, or SLI configuration.

Here is my current configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4771 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i + 4 Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Fans
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
Case: Corsair 750D
Power Supply: Corsair AX860i

Couple of side notes:
a) this is my first attempt to build a computer
b) i currently operate it without discrete video card (my mobo has intel hd graphics card)
c) i do not want any bottlenecks (i mean i want adequate card for my cpu)
d) last priority would be black-colored card (aesthetics of my build are all in red and black colors)
e) if you can suggest ANYthing else, by looking at my build - please mention it as well (i am open to any and all suggestions to improve on my build)

The best card you can get is probably a GTX780 if you stretch the high end.
BUT the new AMD R9-290 and R9-290X will be launching very soon.
I suggest you consider would waiting for those before you buy.

digaev

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
So, it is better to buy one good video card, instead of buying two not-so-good cards and combining them into Crossfire or SLI ?

digaev

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Ok, so GTX780 comes in several flavors: EVGA, Asus, MSI, etc. Which one is better? Or is each one of them geared towards certain advantages/disadvantages?

Another question: What would be real time difference between GTX780 ($600 range card) and GTX 770 ($400 range card).
The reason I ask this question is because currently I run built-in Intel HD, which is adequate enough for general browsing/youtube video watching etc.. I mean, everyone suggests to get great video card, but how do I personally determine that I need an upgrade?

Well if browsing the internet and watching videos is all you plan to do, even the intel graphics are tolerable.

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you plan to play games? If so what kind?
What about rendering or GPGPU?

We need details on system use to answer that question.

Ohh OriginaLz

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I would go with the Evga GTX 780 SC ACX and dont only use a SSD use a HDD too trust me if it fails (like it did to me once) it's a pain... a real pain.