What am I missing (extreme heat)

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I'm running a AMD FX-8120 with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and I idle at 40c and thermal throttle when stress testing with OCCT. I've reseated twice with different thermal paste and everything (currently running IC Diamond) and still happens, on stock settings none the less. I know this is a beefer processor than what I was running but I was running a AMD 720 @ 3.8 with 1.42 volts, idled at 28c and maxed at 45c. I've read everywhere people suggesting this heatsink with what I'm running but it just seems it can't handle it. What can I try other than a bigger heatsink and if I do need a bigger one what is suggested, I'm considering a nzxt kraken x60 but just don't want to drop quite that much but if I have to I will.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

If you're reusing it, did you blow the dust out? Are you applying the Paste correctly? And cleaning it off correctly before re application?
Second-8120 runs hot. I idle at 40*C as well, but different settings and cooler. You may have C6 and coolnQuiet and other features disabled in the BIOS by chance? And APM as well as HPC mode. These settings tell thje cpu to use ALOT less power on idle, and kicks in when in use. This may help you. (Unless you will overclock)

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Planing on overclocking, and yes I've been building systems for a the greater part of 20 years so I've done all the obvious steps. I have all power management features disabled as I'm planing on overclocking but if it hits it's throttle point just stock I cannot do this. I've read posts of people hitting 4.5 with this cooler and I'd like to know if it's something that I'm missing with the cooler or mounting as it's not even getting warm to the touch, still ice cold. I've stressed using AMD Overdrive for hours and it caps at 60c but still the cooler is ice cold to the touch. It makes me wonder if it's miss reporting the temps or the temp sensor is fubar.

Edit: I think I found my issue on google, http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/47282-asrock-970-extreme3-fx-8120-keeps-throttling-im-not-overclocking-3.html same board as those with the same issues, seems I need to upgrade my motherboard.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

It could be the motherboard showing poor temperatures. I idle this card at 40*C with a Kraken x60 @4.55 gHz with all options disabled. If I enable them, my idle is ~24*C due to less power. But what matters is the stress temp, I'm at 56*C on Prime95's torture test, I never used AMD's overdrive. I monitor my temps from AS Suite and temperature probes.
The limit for this chip is 62*C. But I'm not 100% sure, it could be you're mobo displaying incorrect temperatures-or it could be your cooler. (Another thing you can probably try is putting your hand on the back of the case where the CPU is, and feel if it's warm. At 40*C, it warms my cases back cover a bit.)

But if you're upgrading you're motherboard. If you can afford it-the Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0
Overclocks like a champ. Super easy and has great potential. I easily overclocked this CPU and RAM from the UEFI.

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
yeah, it's a cross between that and the asrock 990fx extreme9, been very pleased with asrock boards over these past few years (also heard asrock is part of Asus). I have a full custom waterloop up in my attic if I was so inclined to install it, just not 100% sure I'm wanting to do that right now I'm kinda feeling lazy lol.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Yea it's definitely a good board as well-if you go with watercooling, v-core 1 tends to get hot. I'm running the sabertooth, and I have an additional fan blowing at the heatsinks near the CPU since they get hotter than the CPU due to less airflow. Just a heads up ;)

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Just installed my water loop and getting same temps, behind the processor (running a haf 932 so I can feel the back of mobo) is ice cold under full load, the mosfets and vrm can roast flesh off of bone though, think that's the problem.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

What kind of watercooler do you have, AiO or custom loop?
And yea, I have that problem where I have a fan inside my case blowing directly at the heatsinks beside the CPU (Less airflow by cpu due to the water cooling block)

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
swiftech apogee on a feser 360. I have plenty of air flow on them, I think the problem lies with the fact it's only a 4+1 pwm even though the site claims it supports it I don't think it supports it well.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Ah, nice. But i was saying less airflow on the cpu. (You only have a block there, and no fan on the cpu)-which makes for the heatsinks beside it to heat up.

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Haf has a side fan that blows on them, somewhat, anyhoo I put a 120 directly in front of them and I've been running prime95 for 4 minutes and temps are only 58 compared to 64 and thermal throttling in 1 minute.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Sounds like you're using my PC haha. Hope this helped. But vcore1 i believe has a safe zone of 65-70*C but don't take my word for it. Some people say to worry nearer to 80*C, but I would never want to go that high.

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Yeah, I don't even think the processor is running the 59 it maxed at, I think it's reading the temps from the vrm instead. I think the processor is down in the 40's as the board behind it isn't even warm to the touch.

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011

I think you're right on the money there.I recommend CrossHair V,Sabertooth,ta990FXE.
Biostar pwm setup is much stronger than Asrock/Giga so they don't need as many phases.

or..I know someone who has an m5a99fx-pro for $65, no i/o shield but..cheap.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

I'm not sure if other boards have this, but what I love of the Asus Sabertooth boards is the AS Suite. (It actually comes with most of asus boards) But there's a app called "Thermal Radar" which can monitor temps of the board in different sectors. Which definitely helps-another thing is using temperature probes or a infrared temperature gun. Forgot their actual names.

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002

If the wife didn't need surgery next month I'd grab it, if it's still available when I have the cash again I just might snag it.