Is the operating system connected to the Motherboard?

G

Hello everyone,

I have an OEM operating system in my computer (windows 7.) I have asked before about if it's safe to change a motherboard, some people said it's perfectly safe because it has generic hardware, others said that the Operating system will not work because it's attached to the motherboard. I have two completely different answers and have no idea which one is correct.

I need help on knowing which answer is correct, or what I should do in your opinion?

I will be thankful for any help given on the situation.

The Windows OEM operating system license is tied to the motherboard. It is no longer valid when you replace the motherboard with a different one. If you replace with the same model motherboard you just need to call Microsoft for validation. Whether or not the operating system still works would depend on the kind of changes made to the hardware.

The Operating System is not virtually attached to the motherboard. The reason for the re-installation is because your operating system (when you installed it) configures and downloads drivers for the various interfaces on the motherboard. So if you suddenly change the motherboard, those drivers may not be compatible. But if you are changing the motherboard with another of the make and model, you will be fine. Otherwise, the alternative would be to delete the drivers from Windows 7, and then pop in a repair DVD to have Windows 7 reconfigure them. But OEM is a pain in that regard because it is "tied" in a way.

I hope this clarifies your confusion.

G

Thanks for the message
Thanks for telling me which one is correct between the two. The new motherboard will be completely different so I will probably buy a new Operating System. At the moment I am quite Lucky because operating systems are cheap and I am currently in collage so I possibly might get a discount of some sort.

Thanks again for the answer.

Thanks for the reply.
I will try the idea to see I can keep the operating system by using the repair installation so they can reconfigure. Even if this method doesn't work I haven't lost anything so it's worth a try. I have a feeling this could work by the looks of it.
Thanks again for the answer.