Do I Really Need Water Cooling For Overclocking?

Cube_of_Rubik

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Well, everyone knows that having a good water cooling kit is expensive. But I plan on overclocking my Intel Core i5 3570K to at least 4.4GHz, and I plan on getting two of AMD's new R9 280X graphics cards (Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X). Do I really need water cooling? Also, is it a good idea to overclock my graphics cards? How much wattage will this require? Is Air Cooling Enough? Is it a good idea to overclock my RAM as well? Thank you, and sorry for the many questions...

If it may help...

The build is purely for gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: *This depends on the CPU cooler I'm getting, but it's 8GB and DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866.
Case: *Still choosing between an NZXT case or a Corsair Case.
PSU: *This also depends on the PSU that you guys recommend.

Thank you in advance again, and sorry for the many questions.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

It's a matter of how hot your CPU will get and how much cooling you want. You can go with AiO closed loop coolers rather than full custom loops. Or you can go with High end Air coolers such as the Noctua which cool almost as well as the 110 dollar collers, but it only costs around 80 dollars. It's up to you how much noise, cooling and budget matters to you. (And how much you'd like to get out of your CPU).

Recommendations-well what's your budget. I will post here in a little with my recommendations after looking a little more. You also didnt specify which NZXT or Corsair case. I'm guessing one of the many Mid tower ATX.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1OtwO
That's what I recommend, but I do not know you're budget-if you can afford more, got with Seasonic's 1000w power supply. If you want to save a little, go with Noctua air cooler. Also you'll probably want an optical drive and operating system-take those costs into consideration. Peripherals? ...etc.

Here's the build I recommend of 120 dollars more,
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1OtLt (You can change to a fully modular PSU, but this gives you a discount for a combo deal)
You'd get alot more out of it in my opinion. Plus a very good board for overclocking- RAM and GPU overclocking help. Air cooling is efficient UNLESS you go to extremes or use alot of voltage.
But until you get there, this build is really good, and gives you nice head room (And wire management)