Which memory kit should I buy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny B Goode

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Hi everyone!
I have a question. I need a 16GB memory kit and got these 2 options to choose from:

> G.SKILL RipjawsX F3-1600C9D-16GXM (http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1600c9d-16gxm)

> Kingston HyperX blu KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G (http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/khx1600c10d3b1k2_16g.pdf)

Both of them are almost in the same price where I live and both have similar specifications. The main difference is G.SKILL's latency is 9-9-9 and Kingston's is 10-10-10.

I will use it for CAD mainly (SolidWorks, 3DS Max), Photoshop, etc. (not for gaming) and I'm not interested in overclocking. Which one would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the specifications of memory all that well, but I'm throwing in another vote for the G.Skill kit, as lower latency will help with Photoshop and CAD both.

I highly suggest you do overclock a little and try to push the timings as low as possible, as it will make a very nice difference.

Go with Kingston ValueRAM or Wintec, they own the server and workstation market for a reason.

If you're building a workstation for CAD purposes and are expecting to do lengthy renders or other long duration tasks I highly recommend that you get a workstation motherboard, a Xeon processor, and ECC memory.

Kingston validates their memory against workstation motherboards from Asus and Supermicro. There's no reason to try and get super tight latencies or high frequencies on a production workstation. Time is money and the last thing that you want is to spend several days diagnosing crashes or even RMAing components.

Johnny B Goode

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Thanks for the answers so far. A PC with a Xeon processor is not an option since I already got the i7 4770 processor and the Gigabyte z87-ud3h motherboard.

Is there any noticeable difference between CL 9-9-9 and CL 10-10-10? I thought it was pretty much the same.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Always look for the lower cl, if you were to equate thigs in seconds it would take the 9 sticks 9 seconds to complete an operation and 10 for the CL10 so you'd gain a full memory operation every 90 seconds, though here we are talking ns, therefore in memory intesive operations it adds up quickly

If that's out of the question, I still recommend going with Kingston.

G.Skill memory modules are decent for a gaming computer, but I really don't like the idea of using their modules in servers or workstations.

Check out these other Kingston HyperX Genesis modules

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX16C9K2_16X.pdf

HyperX modules are among the most reliable modules out there. I've installed dozens and recommended hundreds. Never once had an issue with them.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I'm the opposite, not fond of all the 1600 sticks Kingston is continually selling and coming out with at 1600 and 1.65, corsair doing same when JEDEC calls for 1.5.....as far as Gskill i've used hundreds of sets since about 2008, and they have been my primary since about 2009 - as far as DRAM goes they are the innovators that all the others follow. I try to play with as much DRAM as I can, and the Kingston sticks just aren't that good, Crucial and Patriot are slipping away even faster and both use to be big movers and shakers in DRAM

GO TO the motherboard manufacturer website. LOOK at your motherboard specs!
The specs have a list of APPROVED- PRE-TESTED memory cards.
USE the APPROVED tested memory, recommended by the manufacturer.
DO NOT buy memory -- based upon popularity! (I warned you)
BUY the RECOMMENDED TESTED memory, as posted on the motherboard manufacturer's website.
Buying the non-approved memory may cause you all kinds of headaches and delays...why bother???
DO IT the easy way. Let the manufacturer recommend the best memory,,,for THAT board!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Problem with that is - all the mobo makers test with is what's laying around...... and they only test it at the mobos default, which in most cases means ANY DRAM will run at a default of 1333, see the info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

so basically the mobo makers would be better posting DRAM that doesn't work - who wants to buy high quality, high freq DRAM say 2133 and up, that's on their list only to find it will only run at 1333. Besides, the CPU has to be able to run the sticks, makes no sense to buy 24-2666 DRAM if you have a CPU that can only run 1866....QVLs are basically pretty worthless, and mobo specs have to be taken into consideration, YES, but the CPU also has to be considered (which QVLs also don't take into thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS