How can I know which is the maximum graphics card for my motherboard?

dumisoft

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I'm confused.
I have Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard. Can I plug any graphic card for this motherboard?
Currently, I have two GTX 560s.They work fine. But, Can I plug a card like Quadro K6000 to this motherboard?
Plus, my friend have Gigabyte G41 mobo. (Dual-Core processor, DDR3 RAM).
So, for this motherboard, up to which graphics card can I plug?
How can I know this for every motherboard?
Thanks.

Hi. You can plug a Quadro in there, but I don't why you would want to if you are a gamer. Those things are workstation cards and not designed for gaming. As to the other, as long as it is PCIe x16 and you have the Power supply for it, you can plug any PCIe x16 card in.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Cards now are PCIe 3. And some boards still are PCIe 2.0, but cards and slots are backwards compatible.
Now you don't need the quadro unless you are into professional work. If it is just for gaming, I'd recommend on waiting to get the R9 290x when it launches. But if you really want to spend big buck for best performance right NOW! then the Titans are w hat you want. If you'll 3 way SLI then 780's or Titans. If you want the biggest bang for your buck. R9 280x. But once the R9 290x releases, this is what I recommend. (It's rumoured to beat the nvidia Titan at 2/3 of the cost) ~$650.
Quadro 6000 is 5k for less performance than the 780.

dumisoft

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Can I connect PCIe 3.0 card to a PCIe 2.0 motherboard slot?
plus, what abot very small motherboards like gigabyte G41? can I connect a GTX Titan or any big graphic card to that board? will it handle the card?

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

^ This, unless you get a very high performing CPU, Later 8*** series, and the 9*** amd chips or extreme or the higher I7 CPUs to prevent bottlenecking if you're planning on SLI. (Don't forget a powerful PSU)
But make sure if you plan to upgrade CPU's, make sure the sockets are compatible with your boards-or get new boards for the upgrade.
As of right now, 780/R9 280x should be plentiful to run 1080p Ultra, and sli for 2k/4k resolutions. Titans are really NOT the best price/performance.