Sign in with
Your question

How much virtual memory would i need for my laptop to run faster?

Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2013 7:23:30 AM

How much virtual memory would i need for my laptop to run faster? Here are the specs:o perating System-Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 32-bit, CPU-AMD Athlon X2 QL-64, Hard Drives-TOSHIBA MK3252GSX ATA Device If anything else is needed just ask.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 15, 2013 4:20:46 PM

Virtual memory is incredibly slow. My advice to you would be upgrade your OS to a 64bit. Once you have done that, the computer will recongnize more than 3Gb of memory. I'm assuming you either have 2Gb installed or 4Gb with only 3Gb showing.

Let windows manage your page file(virtual memory) If you don't give it enough, you have a higher risk of losing data.

-T
a b D Laptop
a c 298 G Storage
October 16, 2013 9:40:05 AM

Silentapple said:

Thanks but doesn't tell me how much more virtual ram i would need.

Please post your full system specs.

Basically it depends on the architecture (32bit 64bit). This is a very simplistic explanation of things, but so called "architecture" limits size of the virtual address space. For example, 32bit architecture will enable to address 2^31 memory addresses.

The size of the RAM will limit the amount of physical memory that can be used, but not the virtual address space. (potentially the Hard-drive can be used to extend the available physical memory)

OS handle the size of virtual memory, in plain words the more physical RAM you have the system will run better. Improper settings can unstabilize our system.

a b D Laptop
a c 906 G Storage
October 16, 2013 5:41:19 PM

Windows does a great job of running/managing the virtual ram. Leave the setting on Windows managed.

The best speed upgrade for you would be to make sure you have enough ram and thus have no need for the system to use virtual ram. Your 32bit Windows 8 supports 4gb of ram minus ram address being used , like for the GPU, so you end up with about 3.5gb of usable ram left for the system. If you have 1 or 2gb of ram, upgrade to 4. if you have 3gb already then don't bother.

lastly your system has a ql-64 processor which is not fast by any means but its still decent esp if your just doing basic things like web surfing or watching videos

October 17, 2013 2:52:37 PM

viper1979 said:
Virtual memory is incredibly slow. My advice to you would be upgrade your OS to a 64bit. Once you have done that, the computer will recongnize more than 3Gb of memory. I'm assuming you either have 2Gb installed or 4Gb with only 3Gb showing.

Let windows manage your page file(virtual memory) If you don't give it enough, you have a higher risk of losing data.

-T

!