Sign in with
Your question

Help: I just got a new SSD what should I do?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Samsung
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
  • Alienware
Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2013 2:53:09 PM

Hello,

I had recently bought a samsung 840 pro ssd (128gb) and a Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive (1 TB). My current laptop is a alienware 17 and supposedly it have 3 hard drive slots and only one is being use as of right now. I want to change the hard drive to the SSD without doing all the re-installing of the operating system and drivers and keep the initial hard drive as a second storage in the laptop. However, I have never done this before and I will like to hear some advice on the different approaches and process on how to simple switch it.

Thank You

More about : ssd

a b G Storage
October 14, 2013 3:06:36 PM

I really don't think there is a way to do this unless you clone the drives, but even I don't know how to do that...However I just reinstall everything to the new drive.
October 14, 2013 3:08:01 PM

Isn't there a process where backup can do the job?
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 14, 2013 3:15:55 PM

Sure....turn on your computer as it is now....and copy all of the important things over to your terabyte drive and then reinstall your operating system to the smaller drive......then copy all of the things back over to your smaller drive, and after you get everything on the smaller drive format the big drive, and have fun.
October 14, 2013 3:51:36 PM

thank you very much. if you can could you explain how to format a drive?
!