I have one SSD and two HDD's and all are SATA III 6 GB yet I am only getting SATA II speeds is there a driver I can download o

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
My mobo chip set seems to be bottle-necking my speeds and am wondering if there is an easy work around to obtain SATA III speeds. Like a driver download or do I have to buy a card to put in a PCI-e 2.0 x 1 slot? Have run several utilities for read/write speeds and they all agree ( 280/135) and contacting Samsung they tell me my speeds are SATA II. The Samsung Magician says SATA III is available but have no clue as to how to activate it. Any ideas?

King Kii-1359598

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
you have to have SATA III cables to run 6 gb speeds. they look identical to SATA II cables. but it will say on the packaging for them what standard they are for.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

yeah I thought you might be on to something there and checked my oem cable and dag nabbit it was a 6gbs. I purchased two sata iii 6gb cables and even swapped it to be sure but still not being recognized in the magician utility (it still shows sata iii available). I ran the PC Wizard utility it shows my IO ports (0-5) and swapped those because it was showing Generation 3.0 on port 1 and Generation 2.0 on port 0 (ssd on 0) but after swapping out ports it now shows Generation 2.0 on 1 and Generation 3.0 on 0. I feel like I'm chasing my tail on this one. Can't figure out why it is being so elusive.

King Kii-1359598

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
well thats very odd. if you look at your motherboard, your gen 2.0 ports should be physicaly a different color then gen 3.0 ports. otherwise, if your sure your board supports it. go to the manufactures website, and download the latest bios/uefi driver (aka update), and update your bios. you might also wanna check for any sata specific drivers there as well. P.S. i strongly recommend doing a mirror backup of your harddrive before updating your bios. and do NOT try to turn off or reset your system while its updating.

popatim

Titan
1: theres no specification for sata3 cables. All cables that actually meet sata specs will work at all 3 speeds.
2: To acheive sata3 speeds you need sata3 drive (which you have) connected to a sata3 controller (needs to be checked) with the bios set into AHCI mode. please not that you cannot just change the sata mode in the bios, you will not be able to boot if you do.
3: lastly you need a motherbd that can support sata3 speed. Several sata3 Controller chips cannot achieve full sata3 speed, these include various models of Asmedia, Marvell, Jmicron/Gigabyte....
- Native Sata3 ports on the Intel and AMD chips work fine with Intel being a bit faster.

So you need to check which ports you are plugged into, Look in the bios and see if your sata3 ports are in ahci mode, and determine which controller you motherbd has for its sata3 ports.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
In answer to both posts I believe my Gigabyte board (made for HP) does not support SATA III just got off the horn with HP and they after much deliberation came to the conclusion that even though it is listed as SATA III generation 3.0 @ 6 Gbs it in fact is not and there are no BIOS updates to date and no drivers to download. and King Kii the IO ports are dark blue, light blue, yellow, orangeish, black and red. According to HP they are all SATA ports but they themselves didn't know the speeds in reality and I'm talking the repair guys in Tennessee not the techs from India (not to put anyone down) but the repair guys just put in a new mobo last week so I had their number. Something about the chip set. I am in AHCI mode and have done all I can do on my end til a new BIOS is released which am told this model mobo has been discontinued even though it is only a year old. It is a Gigabyte 2AC8 with a ATI RD9X0 chipset. PC Wizard lists the specs below:

General Information :
Disk Controller : ATI Te

Drive Controller Featur
Mode : SATA

AHCI : Yes

IDE Legacy : Yes

NCQ : Yes

Port Multiplier : No

eSATA : No

IO Ports : 6 available o
AHCI Version : 1.20

Bandwidth : 6 Gb/s

Port #0 : ATA Device det
Port #1 : ATA Device det
Port #2 : ATA Device det
Port #3 : ATA Device det
Port #4 : No Device -
Port #5 : No Device -

Advices :

The symbol?indicate : Ap
The symbol?indicate : In

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

Sorry for the late response but I didn't get an email notification and just happened to see this when asking another question and signing in.
The HP model is:
HP Pav HPE h8-1300z AMD(AG2) 2012
CTO (configure to order) which is to say they list the options and you choose the budget that fits. And from what they offer price wise I was aiming for a decent CPU to build around which sadly I've learned that a bare bones would've been the way to go.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I do believe I am ham strung by the mobo. You don't know how I rue not coming to this site and picking you guys brains on what to get within my budget.