Motherboard help please.

FluxRogue

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I'm near the very end of assembling all the parts needed to build my new gaming pc!
But I ran into a problem that I really don't know much about.The motherboard that I'm getting is a Intel DP67BGB3 ATX LGA1155. PCPartPicker says that "Some Intel P67 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Ivy Bridge CPUs." I have no idea what that means.
Can someone clairify this for me?

I'm getting an i3 3220 and heres the link to the motherboard http://

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If possible I'd change the mobo, Intel aren't very good and INtel is leaving the mobo business, would look to ASRock for a good Z77 mobo.....but on to the problem, the P67 mobos, were made initially for for the Sandy Bridge CPUs, and later there was a BIOS update to make them compatible with Ivy Bridge CPUs, if this is a new mobo hopefully it already has the BIOS update, else you'll have to download the newer BIOS and Flash it on your mobo (instructions are available at the mobo site), if needed it generally requires you have a Sandy Bridge CPU to do this

FluxRogue

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Well, since you said that I might as well just get an ASUS mobo. I mainly wanted it because it was just in my price range, but since you clarified it for me I think I will reconsider.

Thanks much.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
As stated, I won't touch MSI for builds, they have poor QC (quality control), even though I don't build on them, I get more calls on problems from their mobos than from any 2 (two) other manufacturers put together, if they arrive alive (not DOA) their mobos often have failures of DRAM slots, SATA, USB and ethernet ports, etc

TRENDING THREADS