Tomshardware forum blues

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
There seems to be an influx of people since I last visited toms forums in april, who imho are making things worse on here.

These people ask questions like "My hdd dont work plz help" with no details to help users identify problems.

These people write posts with titles like "Hello I plan on getting a 120gb ssd for my boot drive and get a secondary hard drive for other stuff can i install steam with "
and message bodies that only say "Steam secondary hard drive installation "

These people seem to think that 'tweets' about their problems will result in successful troubleshooting by other members.

There are also people that write 1000 word essays on what their problems are.

I believe this is an issue that needs to be tackled, as the result is that most questions on the forums seem to go unanswered as a result of these poorly thought out 'help me's. I used to enjoy toms forums as a place where i could ask technical questions and get answers to imptove my knowledge of the tech world and also as a place where I could use my technical knowledge to help other people.

Not anymore.

What can we do? I stop short of scolding these people for their poorly planned out questions so as not to be rude.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Our user registrations have increased substantially, along with our resident number of experts and users of all skill levels up and down the spectrum. Naturally, you'll see more of both types, as well as more of the helpful types and the descriptive types. The operative word here is "more".

As we're growing, we're adjusting and acclimating, trying to accommodate the growth and influx of new folks - what you describe is certainly present. Your input (and that of other users) towards addressing this is welcome, and whatever feedback you or others would like to provide in the way of improving quality of forum communications by original posters who are newly registered will be passed along to our team.

I'm all ears. :)

-JP

To those who only post "is brok, plz fix!?" type of threads, the simple solution is that you don't respond. If they haven't put time or effort into quantifying their problem and making our job easier/possible, why should you bother? Here on the forums, we are a volunteer force and have to be persuaded to respond to a thread in some way, if they don't appeal, then you don't respond.

As for minimalist replies to questions, sometimes that is granted. The answer to that question is that you legitimately can install the Steam application and games seperately, and it doesn't need a massive response to convey that information.

Threads that start with an essay I find can be best forum experiences. If they are willing to write that much, then chances are they are actually going to value your advice and be engaging to talk with.

If your feeling (unsatisfied is the only word I can think of, but doesn't seem right) with the forum experience, I suggest taking a break or only participating in threads that really interest you. I tend to go through phases of intense forum activity and of being apathetic to where I will barely post in a two week period. Discussion threads are often good to be a part of, talk with people who are deep in this community and share your interest in technology rather than just the people who come through here once for quick advice.

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I suppose my main concern is that asking for help now goes unheeded as I have observed several posts that were well written have gone unheeded for months despite them being concerned with common and relatively easy to fix problems. This is something I wouldn't have expected from tomshardware forums before.

It seems obvious that if only 10 in 100 posts are well written requests for help, and not 'tweets', then more of the people who previously actively participated in providing solutions, myself included, will sooner than later start ignoring posts.

I do not think this is a difficult problem to address.

Perhaps a simple default text in the "ask the community" window or under the "ask the community" title, instructing users to give concise titles and detailed information regarding their question, would significantly improve things. I would much prefer an essay of information over a 'tweet'.

Making it mandatory for new users to read posting guidelines might slightly improve things but it is a bit harsh and I'm not sure if this is a direction the website wants to take.

I do hope more people make suggestions as I believe this is an issue that negatively impacts the quality of the forums.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Mandatory reading and agreement to a set of guidelines is certainly a good tact to consider, as is enhancing the tool tips already displayed during new posts. Good suggestions so far. :)