PSU Molex to 4 pin adapter won't allow computer to turn on.

Al Scarpone

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
I just finished building my second computer and I ran into a problem. My build is here: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GGz#cx171965

The computer fired up right away with no problems except that the case fans did not work. The fans use molex cables which I wasn't happy with at the start. I found an old pair of molex to 4 pin adapters and tried using them but the case fans still would not work. Then I tried the psu adapters that came with my psu. I plugged the part into the psu where it fits and then plugged the molex fans into the adapter. I then plugged the 4 pin part of the adapter into the correct spot on the motherboard. The computer would not turn on. When I unplug the adapter from the psu and wait a few seconds and push the power button, the computer fires up. When I plug it back in, nothing. Does anyone know what the problem is? I have never used molex adapters and I could be doing something wrong. If pictures are needed, let me know. Could this be a wattage issue? I figured 500w would be plenty for this build...

You're shorting the board this way (if I've correctly understood).
With the adapters, you either connect the fans to the molex or to the 4 pin. Don't connect the 4 pin to th motherboard. Those headers on the motherboard provide 12V to the fans (fans that have a 4 pin connector can be directly connected to the motherboard and not to the power supply - this way, their speed is controlled, depending on the temperatures).
Now, why fans don't work when connected to the PSU molex? Fans or PSU issue.

First, the PSU wattage is enough. How many case fans are you using? I checked out your Motherboard and found the CPU fan header plaus two others, on obviously for the rear exhaust fan and a four pin at the bottom that could be used for a front intake fan. If the fans themselves had a Molex connection, then you couldn't use the headers and would need adaptors. Even with the adaptors, one end should still plug into the headers.