Sign in with
Your question

BAD PSU or Video Card?

Last response: in Components
October 15, 2013 7:50:25 AM

I have a system that used to be top of the line and I'm doing a refresh on it due to some issues I've had.

Before I refreshed the system, I was having a problem. While running, and at odd times, my fans would cycle down some and my PC would almost appear to go into sleep mode. However, sleep mode was disabled. When my PC would do this, I was unable to wake it up, It seemed to be an issue with the video card and displays, but I guess it could also be overloading the power supply.

The parts in this issue are:
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1200W Power Supply
ASUS EAH6950 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
NEC E231W-BK 23" Monitors x 3 using DisplayPort connection

The new build contains the following:
ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 Motherboard
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1200W Power Supply
ASUS EAH6950 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
NEC E231W-BK 23" Monitors x 3 using DisplayPort connection
Also tried LG 27" monitor with single DVI connection

I have also tried a BFG Tech GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 card in the new build and can't get anything to show. This is both with the NEC monitor via DisplayPort and the LG 27" via DVI.

This is bizarre. On boot-up in the new build, I can't get anything to display with either video card. I should at least get the BIOS post screen, but I can't get anything.

So what is the issue? Is the power supply cable connection to the video card bad and the PSU replaced?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

More about : bad psu video card

October 15, 2013 10:43:32 AM

it's probably your mobo.

p.s your psu is overkill you only need about 600-800w
October 15, 2013 10:56:05 AM

Thanks Kevin..the interesting thing is, the partial shutdowns were happening on the old mobo. Maybe the new one is just bad. :( 

I guess I'll have to RMA it.

That ASUS video card is a beast. Add in my 32GB of Corsair RAM, my PCI-E SSD drive, my two Samsung 1TB HDDs, and the Corsair H80i CPU cooler and I've got plenty to power.
!