Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Upgrading a prebuilt HP desktop pc

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2013 8:54:21 AM

I've got a HPE-515sc prebuilt pc and I'm gonna start upgrading it a bit by bit. I've never built a pc and my knowledge about overclocking is very limited.

The pc is being used for playing Guild Wars 2 and maybe some even more demanding games in the future (GTA V, not anything like BF4 or those huge resource hogs). So basically I'd like to run Guild Wars 2 on high to highest settings and still manage playable fps in large scale fights.

My budget is really low at the moment, hence the bit by bit upgrading. No need for best hardware on the market, just good enough to run gw2 on high settings (running low-medium atm) with 60+ fps.

What should I upgrade first?
Thanks in advance.

PS. I live in Finland, if that matters!
October 15, 2013 7:23:05 PM

I would start from scratch and get a new MB.i wouldn't trust it with an i7 with no vrm cooling. And the 1333 memory would limit everything else. The gain at 1600 is noticeable.
October 15, 2013 8:03:24 PM

dpsmithjr said:
I would start from scratch and get a new MB.i wouldn't trust it with an i7 with no vrm cooling. And the 1333 memory would limit everything else. The gain at 1600 is noticeable.

ThankS for answer! Could you link some example products that'd be compatible with my system so I don't mess up again (bought an i5 3570k cpu and noticed my mobo doesn't support it :D )?
Related resources
October 16, 2013 4:34:33 AM

Anyone? I'm also wondering if I should keep the 3570K cpu or just return it for something else?
a b α HP
October 16, 2013 5:24:06 AM

Alright, first off this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. 1333 RAM is not limiting in ANY WAY. It could easily MAX every game. RAM is not something to upgrade at all right now. Also, an i7 performs THE SAME as an i5 in games. an i7 is a huge waste of money for any gaming computer.

An i5 3570k will likely show no improvement because games rely on the GPU WAY more than the CPU. Plus it will not work on your motherboard.

You should buy a new PSU (550w Antec, XFX, COrsair, seasonic) and the buy the best GPU you can afford. This will get you the best improvement per dollar for your gaming experience.

Your CPU and RAM are perfectly fine and do not need to be changed. I have an i5 2310 (basically the same CPU as you) and I can easily max games with it.
October 16, 2013 5:47:59 AM

tiny voices said:
Alright, first off this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. 1333 RAM is not limiting in ANY WAY. It could easily MAX every game. RAM is not something to upgrade at all right now. Also, an i7 performs THE SAME as an i5 in games. an i7 is a huge waste of money for any gaming computer.

An i5 3570k will likely show no improvement because games rely on the GPU WAY more than the CPU. Plus it will not work on your motherboard.

You should buy a new PSU (550w Antec, XFX, COrsair, seasonic) and the buy the best GPU you can afford. This will get you the best improvement per dollar for your gaming experience.

Your CPU and RAM are perfectly fine and do not need to be changed. I have an i5 2310 (basically the same CPU as you) and I can easily max games with it.

Ok so how do I know if a psu is compatible my system? Or will any psu do?

What do I need to take in account when choosing a GPU?
Btw I really have no clue what gpu is good or whats bad... Probably looking something in a price range of 100-150€.

Thanks again!

October 16, 2013 6:32:10 AM

Ok I looked up some products...

Corsair Vs550 550watt
Msi Amd Radeon R7790

How would these perform? I'm still wondering if the cpu would should be upgraded, I read somewhere that GW2 is more of a cpu intensive game.
a b α HP
October 16, 2013 11:01:53 AM

The GPU will alow you to play medium settings in new games. It isn't really better than your 6850.

Any PSu from the companies I recommend will be perfect.

GW2 is a CPU intensive game, but yours is more than enough to max it with a proper GPU. your CPU is powerful enough for any game that is out right now, and will be perfectly fine for quite a while.

for GPU you want to be looking at something like an hd7870.
October 16, 2013 12:32:44 PM

Alright I just ordered:

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870 DD Black Edition, 2GB GDDR5
XFX 550W Core Edition ATX-PSU, 80+ Bronze

Thanks alot for help!!
!