Need help upgrading RAM and GPU

imapcnoob

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Hi everyone I'm brand new to actually getting to know the internal parts of a pc. I plan to just upgrade my PC rather that buying an Xbox one for Battlefield 4. For the minimum system requirements need 4GB RAM and a good graphics card, but I don't know any good brands. I want to buy this RAM here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/130983991444?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) but I don't know if it's compatible with my PC. I also plan to get a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DD3R. Please let me know if these parts are compatible with my PC. I don't know if I have a good CPU to handle this or enough power.

I have a Dell Inspiron 546 with these specs:

AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor

3.8 GB RAM

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
You already have 4 GB memory per your listing, so are you wanting to go up to 8 GB total? If so, this RAM will work. However, when I looked at Dell's website it indicated that the recommended RAM replacement is 800 MHz and these are 667. It probably is insignificant in difference, but if you can match like with like it's usually better. I also see that this PC came with 6 GB RAM initially and Windows 7, so I'm not sure why you're listing 4GB and Vista. The reason I mention this is because I am not sure how many free RAM slots you have. Did the PC once come with 3 x 2GB sticks and one was removed? Also, Vista isn't really the fastest OS, it's actually a resource hog and can bog down your PC performance.

As far as the suggested GPU it appears to be compatible as well. I think the only potential gotcha would be room in the case. It appears that the standard GPU is integrated but that Dell did design the mobo to allow for a PCIe GPU expansion.

If you're only wanting to spend around $100 I think you can upgrade your PC and while it will be better, I'm not sure it'll be that good with BF4. Depending on your budget and needs you might want to think about a complete build.

imapcnoob

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for your input. I just found the computer specs by right clicking my computer and going to properties. I'm not the graphics type of person when it comes to games so I don't mind playing on low. I just want to meet the minimum system requirements and want to know if I was set to go.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I haven't checked the minimum specs for BF4 but if these two components will bring your PC up to them then I don't see any compatibility issues.